sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 + OSS-only sound driver?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: alvaro <aepaz AT entelchile.net>
  • To: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>, Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 + OSS-only sound driver?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:55:17 +0000

> > I don't understand why the Gnome2 stuff seems so stuck up on alsa!
> > Thanks for any help you can give me.
>
> I can't really say I understand how this would happen. Is anyone out
> there sucessfully running gnome 2.0 without alsa?
>
> Jon

i'm running gnome2 without alsa... don't know about the 'sucessfull' part,
though: it seems ok... but i dont get any sound at log-in. My sound-playing
apps are ok.
Rebuilding the system without alsa was painfull... and long, and involved. A
plain rebuild didnt work, i remember doing a bunch of cast --nofix, then at
the failure points i started to manually check dependencies and compiling
those, a few times i had to manually recompile things a 3 or 4 levels deep.
But i was removing alsa from my system, wich made it worse.
I'm not sure if i took notes, but i'll check. I remember it was so painful,
that now that i *need* alsa to get midi support for my SBLive i'm just too
afraid to install it!.

alvaro