sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 + OSS-only sound driver?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • To: alvaro <aepaz AT entelchile.net>
  • Cc: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 + OSS-only sound driver?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 19:36:03 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Alvaro,

> i'm running gnome2 without alsa... don't know about the 'sucessfull' part,
> though: it seems ok... but i dont get any sound at log-in. My sound-playing
> apps are ok.
What's funny is even with Alsa, I only got startup sounds as root. I'd
be interested in hearing if you get them without alsa but as root? (And
yes, I did change the permissions in /dev.)

> Rebuilding the system without alsa was painfull... and long, and involved. A
> plain rebuild didnt work, i remember doing a bunch of cast --nofix, then at
> the failure points i started to manually check dependencies and compiling
> those, a few times i had to manually recompile things a 3 or 4 levels deep.
> But i was removing alsa from my system, wich made it worse.
> I'm not sure if i took notes, but i'll check. I remember it was so painful,
> that now that i *need* alsa to get midi support for my SBLive i'm just too
> afraid to install it!.
Thanks for the tip! I'm not sure if I want to go through all that
because it certainly sounds painful to me! This thread has been pretty
slow so I decided it was a good time to give KDE3 a try (casting
kde-profile as we speak).

As for needing ALSA again, it seems to me the non-alsa drivers creative
supplies are the most feature complete. Are those the ones you're using?
Don't they support midi? What about surround sound? The main reason I
switched to the creative drivers was for surround sound support. (I even
drafted a spell for it if you're interested, but it still requires lots of
work.) I'm just wondering if I'd be rather off just using the alsa
drivers instead.

Question to the sorcery team: why would we need to do this? Why doesn't
"cast --fix" or "sorcery rebuild" catch these things we need to manually
recompile?

Thanks!

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com