sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 1.0 iso suggestions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <spencero AT mail.utexas.edu>
  • Cc: " Source Mage - Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 1.0 iso suggestions
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 10:02:55 -0700 (PDT)

Spencer Ogden said:
> If I remember correctly this has always been a 'feature'. It made sense
> when Sorcery was usually the second distro on a box, but now that we are
> releasing I think it is a little much to expect users to know they have
> to put a loader in the MBR seperate from the installation process, no
> one else does it that way...
>
> Spencer
>
> On Tuesday 22 October 2002 07:19 pm, Eric Sandall wrote:
>> Good job on the ISO! Went flawlessly for me, I can even use XFS now!
>> One slight problem with LILO, though, it still defaults to a partition
>> for boot, rather than a disk. Is this a bug (perhaps with the lilo
>> spell in my section), or perhaps a "feature" so that LILO won't
>> overwrite a boot loader the user may already have?
>>
>> -One of Four
>> a.k.a. sandalle

Perhaps we should then give more info on the installer? Perhaps in the
menu where you can Optionally Re-configure LILO, and inform the user that
if they want SMGL to install the boot loader for the entire system, change
boot to use /disc instead of /partx, otherwise, leave as is and modify
their normal boot loader (Norton Commander, Windows, GRUB, etc.)

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214
Fingerprint=14C0 C194 163E 57CB 0F1B ED87 5C8D 199A 5A31 7214

Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux
Developer
eric AT sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://www.sandall.us/~sandalle | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU