sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] 1.0 iso suggestions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] 1.0 iso suggestions
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:25:28 -0700 (PDT)

> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Nick Jennings wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 02:20:46PM -0500, Casey Harkins wrote:
>> >
>> > 2) Do not include the isos kernel config
>> >
>> > The kernel configuration used to create the isos kernel is in
>> > image.tar.bz2 and therefore gets installed to /etc/sorcery/local.
>> While I've gotten pretty quick at running through the kernel config
>> menus and unchecking all of the devices that I don't have, it would
>> make more sense to let the kernel start with a vanilla
>> configuration.
>> >
>> > On a side note, PCMCIA cdrom support was not included in the last
>> iso
>> > kernel which prevents me from installing my laptop from the cdrom.
>> It gets to the menu where you can load modules, and the cdrom fails
>> to work from then on without PCMCIA cdrom support.
>> >

>> > Anyone else have comments?
>>
>> I would think it's better to have a fully modular kernel compiled,
>> then to *think* you have everything you want enabled, only to find
>> for some reason you're kernel isn't compiling, or some important
>> device is not enabled.
>

> Yeah, I suppose you're right. Especially since "Configure Kernel"
> defaults to no. I guess I'll just get in the habit of removing the
> config from /etc/sorcery/local on my fresh installs.

Well, I also find it annoying when I have to unselect everything,
especially when I know all that I want in there.

Perhaps we should have an option (default to yes) to copy the ISO's config
for the user?

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

--
PGP Key 0x5C8D199A5A317214
Fingerprint=14C0 C194 163E 57CB 0F1B ED87 5C8D 199A 5A31 7214

Eric Sandall | Source Mage GNU/Linux
Developer
eric AT sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://www.sandall.us/~sandalle | SysAdmin @ Inst. Shock Physics @ WSU