sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] 1.0 iso suggestions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] 1.0 iso suggestions
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:20:46 -0500 (CDT)

Have a couple of suggestions for future isos:

1) Include all spells that may provide connectivity

I think we should make a policy to include all spells which may be
necessary to get a network connection up and running. For example, the
07012002 iso includes the following relevant sources:

dhcpcd-1.3.22-pl1.tar.gz
isdn4k-utils.v3.1pre1.tar.gz
mwavem-1.0.2.tar.gz
pcmcia-cs-3.1.33.tar.gz
ppp-2.4.1.tar.gz
rp-pppoe-3.3.tar.gz

However, the grimoire on the iso also includes the following spells which
could be necessary for providing a connection:

3c990
e100
hcflinmodem
ltmodem

Since that time, other relevant spells have also been added to the
grimoire (could be more):

hsflinmodem
hcfpcimodem (assuming this was hcflinmodem spell from above)
NVIDIA_nforce

2) Do not include the isos kernel config

The kernel configuration used to create the isos kernel is in
image.tar.bz2 and therefore gets installed to /etc/sorcery/local. While
I've gotten pretty quick at running through the kernel config menus and
unchecking all of the devices that I don't have, it would make more sense
to let the kernel start with a vanilla configuration.

On a side note, PCMCIA cdrom support was not included in the last iso
kernel which prevents me from installing my laptop from the cdrom. It gets
to the menu where you can load modules, and the cdrom fails to work from
then on without PCMCIA cdrom support.

Anyone else have comments?

-casey