sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] So who's been playing with hardware detection?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] So who's been playing with hardware detection?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:20:13 -0700

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 01:44:42PM -0400, Dufflebunk wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-27 at 13:26, Nick Jennings wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 04:17:03PM +0100, Mark Andrews wrote:
> > >
> > > Discover: Outputs XML which will need parsing. Otherwise looks like a
> > > contender. So far this looks the most promising to me.
> >
> > Including an XML parser in the install could create difficulties.
> > Seems like overkill...
>
> Luckily, a full parser shouldn't be necessary. One that cheats would be
> enough.

True.

> > > SystemConfigurator: Another one worth investigating
> > >
> > > Others (kudzu etc): Not looked at in any depth
> >
> > Why haven't you taken a look at kudzu? It seems to be a pretty
> > reliable implementation...
>
> kudzu is RedHat and has a lot of redhat specific things built in. It
> would require patching the code. The src is another problem. A month or
> two ago I went in search of the kudzu source code and couldn't find it.
> It may be hiding in some .src.rpm though.

Are you sure it's all redhat-specific? I know Debian has packaged kudzu,
and although they haven't incorporated it into their install process
it seemed to work fine...

Are you sure it doesn't just detect hardware, get the info, and then
lets some modular redhat-specific script actually do what needs to be
done to get the peice of hardware running?

The hard to get source is a problem though...