sm-discuss - Re[2]: [SM-Discuss] So who's been playing with hardware detection?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mark Andrews <msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com>
  • To: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re[2]: [SM-Discuss] So who's been playing with hardware detection?
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 18:50:07 +0100

Hello Nick,

NJ> Glad to see hardware detection is getting some attention! :)
NJ> I don't know of anyone else working on it.

>> Others (kudzu etc): Not looked at in any depth

NJ> Why haven't you taken a look at kudzu? It seems to be a pretty
NJ> reliable implementation...

I've struggled finding decent info on Kudzu - if you know
where to look let me know. Always wary of anything I can't get
sensible info on.

Longer term I'm thinking of looking at streamlining the entire
configuration process (of at least my boxes ;-) ) so I'm not over
concerned about using XML. For some things (like variable amount of
PCI cards installed - each with an undetermined number of resources)
it is easier to work with than plain text. Whether a full XML parser
is required or I can 'bash' out the bits I need remains to be seen.

And having told kde-profile for the umpteenth time what run levels to
start and stop in I really want a better solution.

Now we have scribe and multi grimoires, I can actually run off down my
own road and see where it leads without worrying about suiting
everyone ;-) Hopefully at least some of what I do will be useful in
the main grimoires!

--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:msasgl AT msa-enterprises.com