sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Still Problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <seth AT tautology.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Still Problems
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:38:21 -0700 (PDT)

Doesn't it already do that?

You have to run /tmp/sorcery.restore or something like that if things go
wrong.

Instead........

I think what needs to happen is it should not delete anything at all (at
first). Check against the old install log. Copy files over the top of
other files, delete files that were in the install log but aren't in the
new install log if reap is on. That way nothing gets deleted. Only
"updating" happens.

I suggest this should happen with all spells. The way it currently
happens is broke, broke, broke. Nobody's fault, really, but nevertheless,
broke.

Maybe this requires a last stage after casting to check for reap and then
reap what should be rept. Can't this just happen by moving reap until the
end and then doing a schnazzy diff or something like that? It would be a
real quick perl script (using hashes), but I think it would be about the
same size in bash or sh. I'd prefer a dependcy on diff just to be sure.

Let's stop torturing people by breaking their computers, ummkay?

Seth