sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Patching

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Robin <robin AT kallisti.2y.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Patching
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:19:49 -0400

There are several spells that patch the source in the BUILD script, you can look them up in the grimoire by searching BUILD files with the word `patch' in them.
Speaking of openssl, I would be very much *against* _any_ patches against _any_ `crypto' section spells, that do not come from their respective development teams.

--Sergey.

Robin wrote:

What is the best method of patching software in an effort to get it
working? Obviously I can un-tar, tweak, tar back into the spool, and try
a cast, but this would be quite slow as it won't take advantage of make
tracking modified files. Is there a better method? I'm looking to make
Gabber compile, and this requires patching OpenSSL (it dies with:
/usr/include/openssl/des.h:193: declaration of `char* crypt(const char*, const
char*)' throws different exceptions
/usr/include/unistd.h:946: than previous declaration `char* crypt(const char*,
const char*) throw ()'
)

Basically, I don't want to do a manual ./configure, as it won't do it
with all the arguments that a cast will, but I'd like to avoid the
slowest way of putting it back in the spool to test.

Cheers,