sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 and Sawfish

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jon Svendsen <jon-sven AT frisurf.no>
  • To: "Bearcat M. Sandor" <Sorcerer AT TheDragonsEdge.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Gnome2 and Sawfish
  • Date: 21 Aug 2002 02:23:14 +0200

On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 21:52, Bearcat M. Sandor wrote:
> Jon and all,
> I notice that the gnome2-desktop-profile requires sawfish2. Since
> sawfish seems rather belly up and floating, could we change that to
> metacity?
> Besides sawfish requires rep-gtk which only it uses.

I've definitely been considering doing this. Even though sawfish IS the
official wm for GNOME 2.0, every single vendor that i'm aware of is
shipping metacity as their default wm.

In almost every case I aim to ship a version of GNOME as close as
possible to the one shipped in tarballs from gnome.org itself. In this
case, though, I'm not really sure that that's a good decision to make on
behalf of the userbase, since sawfish2 is really not up to the task. The
only reason it is being shipped seems to be that metacity didn't mature
sufficiently until too late in the development cycle to be added to the
package list. Also, almost any user who has seen GNOME 2 on other
distributions are likely to have been exposed to metacity.

So this is definitely something I've been thinking about doing, and
unless someone has any major objections, I probably will.

Jon