sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • To: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2002 20:52:48 -0700 (PDT)

Casey Harkins said:

> I think these things *should* happen!

It's nice to know that you've ignored the idea of bootstrapping in
terms of an installation. I'm sure that Our Fathers (Ritchie,
Kernighan, and Thompson) are soundly shaking their heads at your
short-sightedness and ignorance of some of their pioneering work with
C and Unix.
The only time that binaries should be compiled to anything other
than the lowest common denominator is when they aren't meant to be
distributed. Keep your audience large and your binaries personalized
and fast. That is the One True Path. All other roads lead to
disaster.

-Phil/CERisE