sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] fresh install questions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • To: bluebird AT optushome.com.au
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] fresh install questions
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 02:00:55 -0700 (PDT)

bluebird AT optushome.com.au said:

> That's interesting, I thought that a major advantage of
> journaling file systems like Reiser & XFS was there ability
> to recover from sudden crashes.
>
> Cheers
>
> Joel

Well, the problem in the case of XFS is with open files. I don't
know the internals well enough to comment on why they're suddenly
replaced with binary zeros. I suspect it's because when it opens a
file, it preallocates a space for it and sets all the appropriate
pointers to the new place on disk.
They recover faster in the sense that fsck has very little work to
do by comparison. They don't necessarily recover better.
With this in mind, I haven't had that problem with XFS for a good
long while. About 5 months or so of constant use have gone by without
problems.

-Phil/CERisE