sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] fresh install questions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ryan Abrams <ryan.abrams AT attbi.com>
  • To: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] fresh install questions
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:00:01 -0500

Only comment on this is about fs choice for mp3s.

Resiser, XFS, and ext3 are all journaled. This means much less in the way of
errors. Plus they will better handle filenames, etc.. Fat32 is a non-linux
native filesystem. Its not gonna have all the modern fs features, and will
slow you down a lot if not properly unmounted and such. Plus it will break
easier.

So if you arent gonna have windows on there, why not go with one of the
others. If you ever have to, you can boot from the cd, move the mp3s over
the first 50%, reformat the back half as fat32, move them back, and then
reinstall your dualboot win/sourcemage or whatever.

-ryan