sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] fresh install questions

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] fresh install questions
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 22:24:08 -0400

Hey,

[note first paragraph is rambly background info, the important part starts in 2nd paragraph]

Okay, so I've been having some, erm, issues (that is, ups managed to break my hard drive during shipping...don't ask...) with my computer lately so I've been stuck with windows on my parent's machine for a little bit while I wait for a new drive and whatnot. Anyway, once I get the new drive I'll have a chance to do a fresh install of Source Mage on a clean drive, and I'm actually kind of looking forward to it. When I do it I'll definitely try to get some feedback on whatever the installation process is like at the time. But for now, I'm thinking about possible decisions I will have to make, and wanted to get some feedback:

First, filesystems - what should I use? Is Reiser faster than ext3 (or should I try xfs or something else?)? Any drawbacks I should know about with any of them?

One thing that I've done in the past is actually make a pretty big (50% of the drive) fat32 partition for my mp3's and whatnot, this way I can access it in windows if I ever needed to. However, I've definitely been cutting back significantly on my windows usage, so I could definitely see going with one of the aforementioned file systems for this. I know fat32 is quite a bit inferior to all of the aforementioned journaled fs's, but specifically what would I lose by going fat32? How much of a disadvantage is it to have mp3's/movies/documents on a fat32 partition as opposed to ext3/reiser/whatever?

Lastly, how are those updated init files coming? I'm kind of thinking maybe I should hold off on this install until I know that I won't have to do a fresh reinstall to get a full migration to SM 1.x...and since it's not really urgent that I use my computer over the summer, I am willing to wait a bit. Roughly how far are we from hitting SM 0.8 (or whatever the first "1.0 beta" is being called nowadays)?

Thanks,
Ari