permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Walipini and earth cellar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Christian Skiba <c.skiba@gmx.de>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Walipini and earth cellar
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2018 21:06:09 +0100

Hi Jeremy,

that sounds interesting.
And how about growing mushrooms in a combined walipini-root cellar when heated by the sun in summer?
Multifunctional!
:-)

Am 06.12.2018 um 03:05 schrieb jeremy baker via permaculture:
It’s a interesting question Christian. A fun design idea popped to mind: a
sloped trench that is cool at the deep end and warmer at the entrance.
Natural convection and radiation would warm the space and cool the space. It
would be fairly stable due to the high mass around it. Cool things like food
could be stored in the deep end. The low roofed cold frame covering it could
slope into the ground as well. If your soil is easy digging, few rocks or
clay, and well drained then it’s very feasible. If it has a high water table
or prone to flooding, then that’s another matter. We have been using 45 mil
pond liner for living green roofs. The deep end could have a layer of pond
liner or ferrocement with some soil placed back over the top. Jeremy

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Wednesday, December 5, 2018, 8:37 AM, Lawrence London