permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: (no subject)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: (no subject)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 17:22:33 -0400

On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 9:46 PM, Linda Ray <lindaray@att.net> wrote:

> I don't think you are "in error" at all, Larry.
>
> I am simply pointing out that there is an additional factor of risk that
> needs to be prioritized IMO, because it could turn your approach into a
> moot point if it is ignored.

Fearmongering. Brainwashing. Is this echoing backscatter from Trump
campaign rhetoric, SOP for card carrying Texas patriotistas?
I didn't say you were one but this is what one might expect these days. On
the web this kind of sky-is-falling propaganda almost takes the form of
bots invading forums and social media, propagated by the alt-right types.
Message: Sky is falling. No explanation given. React as directed. 1984 or
would that be 2084, Orwell got his centuries mixed up.

> It only takes one person to make a nuclear mistake, whereas your approach
> (Which we *both* prefer, BTW) entails mobilizing many
>

> people simultaneously, and while much more desirable as a lifestyle and
> worldview, is also much less easily done.

Let me quote that again: "mobilizing many people simultaneously, and while
much more desirable as a lifestyle and worldview, is also much less easily
done".

Here we have gigantic, global permaculture, environmental, wildlife
conservation, natural agriculture movements, involving many millions of
people in all walks of life, an event that can go miles toward saving out
Earth and making peace amongst Earth's citizens. This is a massing chunk of
energy that should not be wasted. We need to act now to keep up the
momentum and maximize past gains. We do not want people to lose sight of
this.

You can't possibly mean that we need to put all this on a back burner and
take up a new and different cause, preventing nuclear war.
What exactly is it that you propose that people do? It is not clear from
your original post.

I think we cannot afford to *ignore* either approach. I think both
> approaches need to be taken, and I mean now.

I disagree completely. We only need to be concerned about our movement or
aggregation of like minded movements doing what we can to limit
contributing to global warming and thus moderate climate change. We are
free to pursue this single goal. Think about it. Think about it, isn;t it
better to get up in the morning and think about what we can to today to
stop global warming. A fun project for the day. Alternative: what can we do
to stop nuclear war? Answer: nothing other than by helping in some small
but not insignificant way by addressing anthropogenic global warming as we
pursue moving the permaculture movement forward and gain new converts.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lfljvenaura@gmail.com