permaculture - [permaculture] District heating systems in Siberia was Re: Russians in this PC list. Are there any and if not, why not?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] District heating systems in Siberia was Re: Russians in this PC list. Are there any and if not, why not?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:03:11 -0500

On 7/20/2016 3:34 AM, Lawrence London wrote:

But we would hardly move to Siberia, where life is an unremitting struggle
against the cold.

One of the interesting things about life in Siberia is the prevalence of district heating systems, where an entire neighborhood or village is heated from a central plant. While I am certainly not an expert on the subject, my reading is that such systems are more efficient than the typical modern house which has its own individual heating system. One of my thoughts about urban permaculture is that district heating and cooling systems, coupled with superinsulation and other passive systems, would be a useful way to lower the energy consumption of cities. To some extent, this happens in central business districts, where there is often some form of district heating or cooling available. Downtown Oklahoma City has that "amenity".

Bob Waldrop, Okie City
http://www.ipermie.net