permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Russians in this PC list. Are there any and if not, why not?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Russians in this PC list. Are there any and if not, why not?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 04:34:32 -0400

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 3:29 AM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> People in rural parts have a frugal simple life of toil and hardship. They
> want better. In a word, they move to cities because of materialism.

All that glitters is not gold.

> We're fed up with the disadvantages of city life and we want better, so we
> move for the simple life.

So true.

> But we would hardly move to Siberia, where life is an unremitting struggle
> against the cold.

Medvedev has offered Russians free parcels of land in the far East of
Russia if they will move there, establish settlements and make a go of it.
Think about that in these times, encouraging people to become frontiersmen.
I sometimes think of Russia as the final frontier but the severe cold in so
much of the territory might rain on that parade. Ukraine is another matter
because of the millions of acres of Black Earth Farmland. How cool it would
be to get permission to establish international permaculture ccommunities
there and farm some of that black gold. I keep thinking of what agrarian
communal village life must have been in Ukraine and Russia before the
reds/soviets ruined everything for nearly everyone for generations into the
future. It is time for a modern peasant revival, worldwide. Give the big
finger to the monsanto-bayer-big ag-pesticide-chemical farming monolith,
and do it worldwide.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London