permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Help! Understanding Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Help! Understanding Biochar
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 19:15:26 -0600

I was a sceptic, too. But my good friend and co-teacher, Albert Bates,
wrote a book about it called "The Biochar Solution" which is bioth an
excellent read and packed with info. I threw it in my bag on a trip to the
Amazon to do some consulting, and I devoured it. Very convincing.

Rather than rewrite a lot, I will point you to a small video one of our
students made about making biochar, where we use the heat, which we would
use, anyway, here <https://vimeo.com/173389170> and an article I wrote
about biochar and pig raising, with results in tropical tree crops, with
some controls (very good results), here
<http://permaculturenews.org/2012/06/06/maya-mountain-research-farm-update-pigs-and-biochar/>.
We planted about 200 cacao trees in 2012, and we had 20 controld of the
same cultivar planted without biochar. We were hit with a severe dry, which
is becoming more commn, in 2013, and ALL 20 of the controls, died, and none
of the ones planted with the biochar/compost mix did.

One of the things to think about biochar is that it can burn crop residue
that would otherwise quickly degrade, so the perennial argument that
biochar is exclusive to larger systems is not valid. Most of the "anti"
crowd is under-informed on this. We use coconut husks, rice hulls, old
cacao pods, sesame stalks, corn cobs, corn trash, bamboo, dried citrus
peels, twogs, sticks and whatever we can find, small diameter. We also take
advantage of the heat as we cook with fuel wood, as virtually everyone in
the rural lowland humid tropics does.

What I will mention is that biochar makes a LOT of edge, and all of that
edge is habitat for soil biota, especially fungi and bacteria, the major
players in tropical soils. Ir can be done with byproducts of other cropping
systems, and the heat can be used where people burn biomass for heat,
anyway.

Lastly, biochar is not "THE" answer, but it is a tool in our tool kit, and
for some applications, it works really well.

Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm

San Pedro Columbia, Toledo

PO 153 Punta Gorda Town, Toledo