permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Help! Understanding Biochar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Help! Understanding Biochar
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 22:12:09 -0700

Christopher has done a nice job of summarizing some of the merits and
limitations of biochar—nice work. I know a fair number of people involved
with biochar on several different levels, and I’ve made some myself. The
stuff I’ve used definitely improves plant growth and soil water retention.

It’s important to generate it as a by product, and not cut down trees or
other biomass simply to turn it into biochar. Used in a forest fuel reduction
program it makes a lot of sense; you’re already cutting the wood, and it goes
into the soil as long-lasting carbon. And it makes sense if you need heat,
which most of us do. You get heat and you get biochar—stacking functions. In
the 3rd world, people make it while they cook food, and then sell the
biochar, creating a cash crop that has a yield useful to the farmer (heat for
cooking), unlike, say, raising cotton or bananas for export that just yields
cash.

Troy Martz (google him) builds a really cool machine that uses biochar to
generate wood gas that then can run a generator or a diesel car. A 55-gallon
drum of charcoal will drive a car hundreds of miles.

Making it can be done very cleanly; even an open-air burn can be done with
almost no smoke, and in equipment designed for the purpose, gases and other
potential pollutants get re-burned into CO2 and water, nothing else.

I have a friend who generates short scraps of redwood, and I use that,
stacked in ricks (like making Jack Daniels whiskey) to make biochar. I then
charge the char with fish emulsion, compost, and trace elements for a couple
of weeks and put it in my garden beds. It really boosts growth.

I also like it as a way to turn biomass into long-term soil carbon, as
Christopher said. Fresh or dry plants put in soil will quickly break down,
release carbon, and disappear. Biochar will usually stay in the soil for
years, even millennia.

As with so many other things, making biochar at small, local scales hasa lot
of benefit, as it can be done with waste materials, build local soils, and
provide income locally. On an industrial scale, it just means more
deforestation, pollution, and wage-slavery for the people actually doing the
work.

My friend Tom Ward makes biochar in an oil-drum kiln (among other techniques)
and has refined the method so that he can take small, weirdly shaped pieces
of manzanita, char them, and sell the resulting beautiful “petrified” char,
still in its twisty original branch shape, to the Japanese at a very high
price for tea ceremonies. And he makes charcoal that grills up some of the
tastiest barbecue I’ve ever had. He also makes biochar for the usual use, but
the special uses are kind of fun.

In Tom’s system, he heats the wood in a drum until it starts to generate wood
gas, which happens pretty quickly, and then he lights the wood gas so it
becomes the fuel to cook the char. It uses very little outside fuel (wood),
and that is from the same forest fuel-reduction program that provides the
biochar feedstock. Elegant, and almost no pollution since the wood gas is
combusted.

As Christopher says, it isn’t for everyone or for universal use, but it has
its applications in the right circumstances.

Toby
tobyhemenway.com

Just out: my new book on urban permaculture, The Permaculture City. Order it
at your favorite bookseller or get a signed copy from me at
http://tobyhemenway.com/book/the-permaculture-city/