permaculture - Re: [permaculture] space for food self reliance?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dhondt <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] space for food self reliance?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 23:25:25 +0000

I would suggest that you carefully experiment with what crops will do best for you in your location. For instance, we can not grow peanuts, soybeans, sweet potatoes, sesame and millet. Some of the others suggested like sunflowers and buckwheat only perform well without months of rain and high winds from all directions. Do well maybe one year out of five.
On the other hand we grow good crops of yacon, madeira vine and mashua reliably. Grapes do very well with protection as long as you allow the root to grow outside the green house. But we never had a single grape from plants grown without protection.
We have failed to have a good crop of spelt but oats do very well here.
John