permaculture - Re: [permaculture] space for food self reliance?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] space for food self reliance?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 14:21:00 -0500

On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at> wrote:

> the first one is intended to be not far from Vienna, Austria, EU. And I
> say "the first one" because I like to think big (not 'big' as in 'huge' or
> 'grandious', but 'big' as in 'mass movement' or 'revolution'), and if the
> project takes off, we are likely going to plant more of them.
>
> We have been gleaning various practices from all sorts of fields, in order
> to allow a project to emerge, that combines all the benefits one can think
> of along the lines of 'community'

Once your first community is established and you have refined your food
production systems the ones that follow can adopt a food, products,
materials, equipment, machines production, marketing, barter, sales and
distribution network for the entire region where communities are located.
There would be many advantages to setting up such a share, support and
income generation network.

Support, barter and share = goods that one community needs but can not
produce on site could exchange something they produce that they have a
surplus of with another community that has a surplus of what they need.
Things like grain, beans, fermented and preserved foods, fruit and nuts
would be in this category.

Skills, trades, services could be bartered, loaned or exchanged.

If one community was interested in income generation then their products
and services could be marketed to the other communities and in the public
marketplace. Other services that could be sold or bartered might include
technical (internet access, web development, wireless issues), veterinary,
alternative healthcare, publishing, contract writing, vehicle repair and
maintenance, products made in shops, wood or metal, masonry services,
architecture, construction, equipment operator, building and HVAC
maintenance, pond building, grading and excavating. Agriculture related
could include orchard design, plant propagating and nursery, vegetable and
herb seedlings in season, greenhouse produce, all technology related to
solar, greenhouse, garden and aquaponics. A gardener team with special
skills and equipment from one community might be hired to break ground and
build new gardens for another. The possibilities are infinite for exchange,
support and making money.

As for site development, i.e. roads, grading and excavating and for
gardening and farming, a given number of communities in close proximity
might want to invest in the machines they need to do all the tasks
associated with construction and farming. A basic array
would include a farm tractor with implements, a trailer to haul it from
community to community, a dump truck to pull the trailer and haul
construction and agricultural materials and a trenching machine for
installation of water, electrical and sewer lines. For an extended array
add a skid loader or a backhoe-loader.

Scaling back to keep things simple and inexpensive would mean doing more
construction and farming tasks using human labor. I think this is the
preferred option and should be considered first.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com