permaculture - Re: [permaculture] American Permaculture Association Standards Board?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jono Neiger <neiger@csld.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] American Permaculture Association Standards Board?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 18:13:04 -0400

Im not sure the analogy really works. There are really well-meaning people
taking these and other courses that aren't up to snuff. Can we fault the
victim? Do we really want people to just sink (or maybe the analogy is
"fall through the cracks")? There are some teachers/organizers who are
really good at marketing. Vladislav is one of them. I personally feel some
responsibility for people taking what they might assume are good courses.
We need to do some internal watchdogging, I think.

I also think its ridiculous to just throw out a blanket statement about the
number of deficient teachers out there. There are a few who aren't as
skilled as they could/should be, some who are overconfident and a very few
who are shysters. In the northeast (US) where we've been doing regional
organizing for a decade, we have a fairly tight network and many of the
teachers and organizers know each other.

Thats the solution, I think. A strong, integrated network. People knowing
each other and using their connections to steer people to good courses.
Also, an open source database with feedback would be good.

Jono

*Jono Neiger, Principal*
Regenerative Design Group
1 Chevalier Avenue
Greenfield, Massachusetts 01301
web. regenerativedesigngroup.com
tel. 413-658-7048

Conway School, Faculty
Graduate Program in Sustainable Landscape Planning & Design
www.csld.edu

PINE: Permaculture Institute of the Northeast
www.northeastpermaculture.org