permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: europeanpermaculturenetwork@googlegroups.com, Joe Atkinson <learn@permaculture.org.uk>, Andy Goldring <andyg@permaculture.org.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC values ?
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:37:54 -0400

On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The upcoming IPC in London is our 12th international conference. All
> conferences have been traditionally titled with the number in this case it
> will be IPC12. Tradition has shifted or is it marketing/promotion and
> imaging or is it a diversion of focus to grandise it for personal motives ?
> IPCUK ? When it is not a UK conference, it is an international conference.
> It is in England. It is not the Permaculture conference of England or
> United Kingdom. It is our international conference, with the UK
> Permaculture association being the hosts.

Who had the brass to void longstanding tradition, history and accomplishment
and rename such an important Permaculture event?

> The whole IPC12 is titled IPCUK it has become an England
> marketing/promotion campaign and totally overloaded with English speakers
> who have little or anything at all to offer the subject at any level let
> alone developing any international Permaculture solutions and debate.

What are their credentials? Wouldn't speakers with well-rounded backgrounds
and expertise
be preferred over all others? Lecturers of the quality of Scott, Toby and
other notables should set the standard
for selection of speakers. If it could be a shallow greenwashing event
there might be a need to assess the benefits of attending.

> The promoted Theme of IPC12 is "*Designing* the network we want - for
> people from *around the world* using permaculture in their everyday lives
> and *communities*." So my argument is, where are the designers in the key
> note speakers ? and where is the around the world communities?. Is there
> something missing or have I missed it ? None of the key note speakers are
> designers, none have any successful design solutions. None are involved in
> developing honest design initiatives.

I agree completely. Any speaker considered whould have at least some
documented background in permaculture design, since that
plus implementation makes up most of what it is all about. The substance of
the three ethics of permaculture should guide selection
of people who will set the tone of the convergence.
LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com