permaculture - [permaculture] IPC values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, europeanpermaculturenetwork@googlegroups.com
  • Cc: Andy Goldring <andyg@permaculture.org.uk>, Joe Atkinson <learn@permaculture.org.uk>
  • Subject: [permaculture] IPC values ?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 04:14:20 +1200

There is an interesting discussion evolving which needs far wider debate
and discussion to evolve more meaningful ends for greater value.

IPC, The International Permaculture Conference has a chequered history but
also rich diverse and valuable for we know Permaculture has international
solutions to offer, as well as local.

Aligned to this is the evolution of energies to move different sectors of
Permaculture forward positively. Great work is coming out of the PAssocUK
in these areas.

However we still need to assess all moves and motives with clarity and
honesty.

I have been personally involved in the IPC activity from the beginning and
remain keen to continue its value and service to the greater community both
within the fraternity and outside.

​The IPC is our flagship international event. In my opinion it deserves to
be respected as an international event and present international issues,
global issues, ​inviting a global array of presenters, including most of
all global key note speakers.

The upcoming IPC in London is our 12th international conference. All
conferences have been traditionally titled with the number in this case it
will be IPC12. Tradition has shifted or is it marketing/promotion and
imaging or is it a diversion of focus to grandise it for personal motives ?
IPCUK ? When it is not a UK conference, it is an international conference.
It is in England. It is not the Permaculture conference of England or
United Kingdom. It is our international conference, with the UK
Permaculture association being the hosts.

The whole IPC12 is titled IPCUK it has become an England
marketing/promotion campaign and totally overloaded with English speakers
who have little or anything at all to offer the subject at any level let
alone developing any international Permaculture solutions and debate.

The promoted Theme of IPC12 is "*Designing* the network we want - for
people from *around the world* using permaculture in their everyday lives
and *communities*." So my argument is, where are the designers in the key
note speakers ? and where is the around the world communities?. Is there
something missing or have I missed it ? None of the key note speakers are
designers, none have any successful design solutions. None are involved in
developing honest design initiatives.

As mentioned we have a chequered history in these events. There has often
been debate in whether we need an international structure with an entity to
assist in the delivery of all things needed. Presently there is none. I do
applaud PAssocUK for taking the initiative in a strategy to evolve such an
entity. We need to come on board here and express our opinions but to
ensure also they are heard and followed through.

We do not need agendas of self promotion. We need a greater collective
entity for the whole, for the bigger picture. We know Permaculture has a
huge amount to offer the worlds issues and problems. We know we have the
solutions to many if the woes. But we need to act accordingly, as a
cohesive international entity. We need to feel free to voice our concerns
and offer solutions.

I am not sure if IPC12 in London is inviting such a forum for debate and
workshoping. There is no evidence yet that it is. But we need to develop
it, stimulate it and maintain it to evolve the models and solutions we know
we can offer this world.

I do look forward to the stimuli

--
Kia ora

[image: Picture]
*Steve Hart*
*Ecology Architect*
*Designer, Teacher, Builder of Ecologically Sustainable Resilient
Environments, through Urban Design, Architecture, Landscape Architecture
and Systems Ecology.​*
Skype: tipenemanawa
Phone: +64 220 75 62 11

Permaculture Global Design: