permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: Koreen Brennan <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 20:54:37 -0400

On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM, Koreen Brennan <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Lots of good ideas here! Many! Can I forward this to Michael Pilarski? He
> will be very interested in this, I know.

Yes. Please do and encourage him to enter the discussion. I post these
ideas for projects because I am convinced they are affordable, effective
and will do the job they are intended to do.

A little clarification of some details brought out in previous posts:

1) Having a laptop, projector and screen with the facilitator, and
preferable a team of two folks, one to listen and type and plug in media on
memory sticks provided by attendees, listen to feedback from audience and
type that up in a document to be displayed onscreen alternatively with the
main media presented. This leaves the facilitator to remain standing,
looking at audience and screen to manage discussion while the
secretary/typist manages the whiteboard and the media display. Whiteboard =
simply writing up highlights of discussion and key points, top tier issues,
wishlists, things to do, as they occur so people can see where discussion
is focused and where it needs to go and what possibilities exist and what
has been accomplished and decided on. This is S.O.P. in many types of
organizational meetings. The typist/note taker can just enter text data
into a common text file for display or to get fancy create a little webpage
(only on the laptop) to be displayed partitioned into sections
corresponding to the major points of discussion about the topic at hand and
edit the appropriate text in any of the sections. Load page into web
browser on laptop, display through projector onto screen, edit text in a
topical section, save and changes, updates appear on screen; the audience
gets to watch the whole process in real time.
This would be super easy to do and you would already have the web page for
that event at the NAPC already done, documentation and feedback loop for
the attendees and finished webpage(s) ready for publication online. Cool.

2) I will create the Google+ page for this list and add appropriate Google
services to it. This could be cloned for the NAPC G+ page if you need it
but I do urge you to establish a Google+ presence for NAPC sooner rather
than later. Don't count on FB for much of what you need. There's a whole
different crowd at G+. New worlds to explore.

Here is another example from John Kellden of Sweden:
There are a lot of computer and web references (The Semantic Web, will be a
blessing for us now and in the future) in there but still should be
interesting to permaculturists
for progressive thought.

"
John Kellden <https://plus.google.com/u/0/101010252943098026073>
owner
- 2:28 PM
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/101010252943098026073/posts/3KxzmWYDhJ7>

*21C Platforms: Content, Context, Conversations, Collective Intelligence*

Very intriguing overview and research by +Pamela Wang
<https://plus.google.com/105408925207475973229>
Pamela Wang <https://plus.google.com/u/0/105408925207475973229> originally
shared <https://plus.google.com/u/0/105408925207475973229/posts/MJ61V8PCzT6>
to Conversation (21C Design & Tech)
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109257599738414342408>:

*Collective intelligence Search and Knowledge built from the Context of
Conversation from our Collective Works* The mechanics so we can think about
how to feed our gardens.

This was supposed to be a comment which I was in the process of creating
several days ago but the post disappeared. It may still have some value
since it relates, in part, to +Jan Wyllie
<https://plus.google.com/104729717615479691060> post and a few others
along this vein *" Fundamental Question of Purpose—Should software
"determine optimal information?"* I was going to let this perish in my
files but thought this blurb of thought might still have some utility.

At the root of how search works is the premise that originated decades ago
and the vision for the semantic web initiated by Tim Berners-Lee and
others, and what followed from there. What has thrown a monkey wrench into
this effort are the limitations of physical structures such as wires,
chips, logic gates, and other such bits and pieces which impact how
software can function.

Then, there are the algorithms, the fancy patterns, to see within the
patterns, to structure the patterns, and other software dancers that sort
out the data for package and delivery. It all happens one layer at a time,
the dominoes in line, the bricks one upon the other. And that is the
problem, it is not organic. It can't jump to things it cannot see even
though they related, abstractly. The shrimp instead of the standard cheese
on the pizza -- do they go to together? They do in Asia.

The search software can't deliver everything at once; have you looked at a
million links from a search? It has to limit that or you would never be
able to handle the mountain so why not limit the view to you and fund the
process at the same time? The algorithm can do that dance. We build these
systems to dance and pay for our efforts as well. We have to pay for all of
that electricity, buildings and servers somehow. This is why free does not
work; someone has to pay for it somewhere down the line.

As for this community, I was thinking more about how to share that original
vision and how it all comes together for those not living in web speak
realms, what these terms and mechanics mean to each of us in their current
incarnation; sort of a history in a short series of posts but have not
gotten to it, short of a collection of notes; time and commitments are
always a factor. Meanwhile, I have this tidbit and a bit more which is my
first foray into this thought process, and in part, the comment I was going
to make about it in the post that vaporised by the owners action and delete
button.

As Douglas Engelbart wrote back in 1963 or so "The grand challenge is to
boost the collective IQ of organizations and of society". Others carried
these ideas forward such as Tim Berners-Lee and his vision of the Semantic
Web where "information is given well-defined meaning, better enabling
computers and people to work in cooperation.”

To that, I might add, curating content so that others can shift through
targeted mountains of data to efficiently absorb what interests them; so
that they can in turn synthesize and build upon that data . We don't want
selectively parsed data but rather a democratic system and yet there is so
much data, how do we deliver it with a narrowed window? How do we give
access to data free to stimulate expansion and access for all and yet have
a way to fund those efforts?

Ah, the conundrums we face. Socially generated enterprises require funds ..
some places call those taxes. Do we all want to contribute? Do we care if
bridges fall into rivers? Local folks cannot afford such repairs and
projects. We need larger structures to take care of that. Some places balk
at the idea of taxes ... and so this leads back to free .... or rather to
sharing what we have. Are we up to it and can we all add to the money pot
to drive it without squabbling about what is important and what is not?

I can imagine how magnificent our house could be if we are all worked on
refining the building blocks.

*Shifting perspectives and the unlearning process; ditching the programming
and software that no longer serves us* Unearthing the context of
'relationships' and 'meaning' and then somehow building that bridge to get
a machine to encapsulate and deliver what we know about the world. One
issue is the machine has a hard time linking together information that does
not seem related and the machine works in a step wise fashion ... the
machine is not our brain.

*As to these intricate connections and context from content beyond first
order logic constraints:* We already know from nature how difficult it is
to define a dynamic entity; something that changes as quickly as shifting
sands, something that is in constant motion and evolving .Think, for a
moment about the evolution of language for instance, what a word meant
before, may no longer have the same meaning, what a word is now may have a
different meaning to another culture. Think NOVA the car and no go in
Spanish. Such is the task and it is not easy for the machine and software
as they exist at this moment, particularly the computing gadgets that most
of us have aside or in hand.

In 2001, Hal via Arthur C. Clarke hinted about the direction we are
heading.. we have seen some progress with IBM’s Watson but software and
logic gates may not be enough … perhaps an organic wetware fractal computer
will do the job since nature has been busy at it for some time now; we have
only begun.

#cognitivecomputing <https://plus.google.com/s/%23cognitivecomputing>
#algorithm <https://plus.google.com/s/%23algorithm> #semanticweb
<https://plus.google.com/s/%23semanticweb> "