permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Aquaponics: artificial?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:09:38 -0800 (PST)

I spent some time at Will Allen's Growing Power and he gets a lot of his
yield by closing the loop on the waste stream that is available in an urban
environment (he composts, creates worms, feeds some to fish, gets restaurant
waste to feed soldier fly larvae, etc). He gets a lot of input from the urban
waste stream. He was trying things like heating the greenhouse with compost
(it was working a little), growing mushrooms in sawdust from a local mill, in
unused corners, etc.  He has a lot of different systems and approaches going.

They use worm castings and coconut coir for a soil mix for some of the plants
including some in the aquaponics system. The coconut coir comes from SE Asia
and they were looking for a closer source. I suggested Haiti. They felt it
was more sustainable to use coir from Asia than to use peat moss.  He was
feeding the fish with commercial fish food when we were there and said that
is mostly what they do. To be commercially viable, most aquaponics places
I've seen feel that they have to pack the fish into the tanks, and grow them
fast. So, just like plants that are fed exact amounts of nutrients in
hydroponics, commercial aquaponics places tend to feed their fish specially
prepared nutrient dense fish food formula that will make them grow up fast.
Fish in tanks are factory farmed, very packed in, in most aquaponics systems
that I've seen. Not sure how commercially viable it would be to do it
otherwise, especially in urban areas because of space requirements
but definitely something some permaculture designer(s) should try to figure
out! There were a lot of great design elements at Growing Power when I was
there and a lot more connections, closed loops, yields that could have been
gotten.

Hydro or aero or aquaponics appear to be one of the waves of the future. I
was just told that there is a big US grocery store chain that is going to
start growing veggies on their roofs in hydroponic greenhouses - not sure how
long that roll out will be but it's based on successes in Canada and England,
etc. Talk about reducing the energy footprint! - Though the nutrients source
from petroleum and natural gas for most hydro systems (organic nutrients clog
the system - another job for a designer to solve!). It is still way less of a
footprint than maybe even a lot of organic ag because of reduced water use,
reduced food loss in shipping/packing, etc. There are high rise hydroponics
factories going up in Hong Kong and elsewhere.  So it would be good to apply
some permaculture design tools to the area to see how it could be improved.
Aquaponics in backyards or small scale seems to have the best potential for
incorporating full permaculture design
principles. I'm far from expert on these topics, just sharing what I've
seen.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition

On Monday, December 30, 2013 3:18 PM, Toby Hemenway
<toby@patternliteracy.com> wrote:

On Dec 30, 2013, at 9:43 AM, Pete Gasper, Gasper Family Farm wrote:
> To me, fish food is a huge input, and one that is often unsustainable. What
> examples do you know of that do it without fish food inputs (or very
> little)?
>
> Pete

Yes, fish food inputs  are one weak point, for sure, just as are fertilizer
inputs or farm-animal feed in manure-based farming. I've seen some systems
that use compost to grow black soldier fly larva to feed insectivorous fish.
Vegetable wastes are recycled from the growing beds to feed the larvae, but
since the 2nd law of thermodynamics is in effect,
they still need a few additional sources of food, though minor ones. And
I've also seen algae and duckweed being grown to feed tilapia.

Feeding the animals that provide manure, or generating permanent compost for
crops, is the hidden defect of all organic farming. John Jeavons and others
have calculated that for every acre of food production, 4 to 6 acres of
compost or animal-feed crops are needed to have a sustainable system.

One obvious open loop that remains to be closed is for the people being fed
by these systems to recycle their urine and feces back into the aquaponics
(or farms) in some way. That open loop exists for almost all western
agriculture.

To me the biggest weakness of aquaponics is the high-density fish population
needed to supply manure. This stresses the fish and makes them subject to
disease, and I can't imagine they are happy
at those densities. One solution might be to grow at lower fish densities
and filter the manure-water to concentrate the nutrients before it goes to
the plants, but then you are adding another layer of technology on the system.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Google message archive search:
http://www.ipermie.net
https://plus.google.com/+Avantgeared
Permaculture: -- portal to an expanding global network of landtech pioneers
-- who are designing ecological land use systems with integrated elements for
synergy, sustainability, regeneration and enhanced nature-compatible human
habitat