permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Musings II

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Musings II
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 06:08:45 -0500

On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 2:20 AM, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>wrote:

> This is volumn 2 of my IPC11 musings: see attached

Scott:

Is there any possibility that you would be willing to post all your IPC11
Musings, I, II, III in text form
(text in message body as opposed to attached files which get removed from
all messages by the list software)
so everyone can read them and they will go into the permaculture list
message archives? Attachments get scrubbed by the list software which means
they do not get appended to the
message archives and some subscriber will automatically remove attachments
manually or automatically with anti virus software.

Your doc can be read in Open Office or Libre Office and easily exported to
plain text with good formatting.
Alternatively I could convert and repost them here for you but I would
prefer you do it. Your posts are important and need to be widely read.

As for Cuba, after lifting of the embargo and normalization of relations
with the US, becoming exploited by corporate greed and power I think most
people in the USA would say "tell me about it".
Maybe the billionaire Ukrainian criminal oligarch could invest in
enterprises there, absentee-foreign-investor style as he did when he bought
the Townsend chicken processing plant in Siler City, N.C. When feed costs
rose unexpectedly he was not able to make a profit as margins are always so
thin and he could not outcompete other plants, so he just dumped and
shuttered it, released employees, no more jobs, no contribution to the city
tax base. What you are worried about happening in Cuba is already happening
here in the US. The new FSMA could potentially put millions of small food
producers, small and family farmers and market gardeners. Many people are
very worried about this. Bob Waldrop has written about this to this list.
The permaculture community should be quite worried about the effect it
might have on permaculturists who want to market products generated on
their farms or homesteads locally. Talk about ethical issues.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com