permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC11 Musings

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC11 Musings
  • Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 09:53:17 -0800

Thanks for the reflections, Scott, and the honest assessment of the first
part of the event from your perspective. I found the sub-theme of the whole
trip very interesting: how our small society dealt with the logistical
chaos, which you are attributing to the 140 event crashers which pushed the
planning and infrastructure over the edge.

I'm not refuting your statements, just adding a bit to what you said.

As far as the Havana tours, one thing that I found very valuable was seeing
how the Permaculture flag was being waved at multiple locations within
neighborhoods, and imagined how many places it was seeping in to the fabric
of the community that we couldn't see. Also where our guides explained how
the government had officially recognized the value of sites, and gave them
official recognition and protection, showed the level of support they
garnered. I would put my own neighborhood here in Corvallis, Oregon up
against them in a contest of urban food production density. (shouldn't we
have "most food grown in the city" contests?). But it was fascinating to
observe their "activist" Permaculture systems, with signage and intentional
community education.

The 20 acre urban farm we saw that day had many interesting layers to it as
well, from the mosaic of fields with productive hedgerows surrounding, to
their large scale worm composting system, to the community enterprise piece
that employed many with a diversity of types of yields.

I reflected at the time that it would have been very hard for it to not be
an amazing experience, simply for the opportunity to meet and connect with
so many wonderful people and all of the communication on so many topics
that occurred. I didn't know what to expect or have previous trips to
compare it with, so seeing it all with new eyes, I took the value that I
could from each facet.

I appreciate hearing what Scott and others have to say about their
experience. It's good to get the collective memory out there to get the
most learning from it that we can.

Thanks,

Andrew

--