permaculture - [permaculture] Turning this discussion forum into a think tank to push the limits on what can be done with Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Turning this discussion forum into a think tank to push the limits on what can be done with Permaculture.
  • Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 21:00:40 -0500

A Permaculture Knowledgebase
An organized definition of Permaculture
Permaculture Standards, an organized set of concepts and methods

I'll start the ball rolling with a few ideas of my own, based in part on
the resources described in these snippets:

How to develop a common knowledgebase; how to organize, access, use and
especially share the knowledge you acquire
to push the envelope on what permaculture is, how it can be used and how to
get it to people. Bill Mollison said that the only limit to a permaculture
design
is the imagination of the designer.

How can we all make better use of this mailing list? for each of us? for
everyone else?

Scott has talked about integrating permaculture with disaster relief
through education, direct aid in the field and long term adoption by the
intended beneficiaries.

Tools to think about and possibly use for group brainstorming and personal
knowledgebase development:

<>

Chunking, Coding, Expertise, & Other Cognitive Classics | Duke ...
www.dibs.duke.edu/.../557-chunking-coding-expertise-and-other-cogniti...‎
Mar 18, 2011 - Ruth Day, Ph.D. Duke University. Chunking, Coding,
Expertise, & Other Cognitive Classics. Associate Professor, Psychology &
Neuroscience.
http://www.dibs.duke.edu/events/2011/03/557-chunking-coding-expertise-and-other-cognitive-classics

Ruth Day, Ph.D.
Duke University
Chunking, Coding, Expertise, & Other Cognitive Classics
Associate Professor, Psychology & Neuroscience
This lecture is part of Cognitive Fridays: "Cognition: Then & Now"
Dr. Day's website.
http://people.duke.edu/~ruthday/
http://people.duke.edu/~ruthday/basiccog.html#knowledge

[copied from her website]

ALTERNATIVE REPRESENTATIONS

All information can be represented in alternative formats, such as text,
lists, outlines, matrices, tree diagrams, and other spatial arrangements.
Each representation carries its own cognitive consequences -- it has
characteristic effects on perception, memory, comprehension, problem
solving, and other cognitive processes. There is no one "correct" way to
represent information. It depends not only on the nature of the information
itself, but also on the cognitive task(s) to be performed. For example, a
grocery shopper with time constraints will do better with a list ordered by
spatial location in the store, while one still thinking about dishes for a
given meal may benefit from having a dish-ordered list. The idea of
alternative representations of the same information (Day, 1988) holds
implications for how experiments in cognitive psychology are conducted and
interpreted, as well as for situations in everyday
cognition<http://people.duke.edu/%7Eruthday/evdaycog.html>
.

KNOWLEDGE STRUCTURES

Many empirical studies about knowledge examine how much people know about
various content domains, from physics and history to movies and chess. Our
research examines the structure of such knowledge. For example, is the
information loosely structured based on weak associations, or is it
structured in a systematic, hierarchical way? To study knowledge
structures, we use a variety of empirical and quantitative methods (such as
hierarchical clustering). Experiments examine:

--what knowledge structures are
--how to measure them
--how they vary across content domains
--how they vary with degrees of expertise
--how to foster their development

Sample Paper
Day, Ruth S. Knowledge vs. knowledge structures. In W. A Cashin (Ed.),
National Issues in Higher Education, 1987, 26, 35-56.

LINGUISTIC CODABILITY

Linguistic codability is the ease with which people can name things and the
effects of naming on cognition and behavior.

<><><>

And a comment at this blog site about "pair programming":

Programmer Interrupted
http://blog.ninlabs.com/2013/01/programmer-interrupted/

James Grenning
Interesting article. I was surprised to discover when I first started pair
programming 13 years ago, how one person ia a pair can hold the context
while the other person in the pair gets interrupted. We could get back to
work in seconds.
I was also surprised by test-driven development, how it helps keep track of
where you are. Here are some of the factors I've noticed:
* The test tell you how far you have gone.
* Your test list serves as a reminder of where you need to still get to.
* The focus on small steps means at any instance there are fewer balls in
the air.