permaculture - [permaculture] FYI: labels = general environmental, travel to outback, potable water, food safety, long but useful thread | Fwd: Why is Chlorine so effective in killing anything alive? : askscience

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] FYI: labels = general environmental, travel to outback, potable water, food safety, long but useful thread | Fwd: Why is Chlorine so effective in killing anything alive? : askscience
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:18:07 -0500

[I highly recommend Reddit for info and Q&A on many topics, populated by
experts, great reading & news AND NO ADS! - LL]

FYI: labels = general environmental, travel to outback, potable water, food
safety, long but useful thread | Fwd: Why is Chlorine so effective in
killing anything alive? : askscience
Subject: Why is Chlorine so effective in killing anything alive? :
askscience
http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/
Biology: Why is Chlorine so effective in killing anything
alive?<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/>
self.askscience <http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/>

submitted 9 hours ago by chr0no <http://www.reddit.com/user/chr0no>

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
BioChemistryStudent <http://www.reddit.com/user/BioChemistryStudent> 1
point2 hours ago

Another point I would raise from a biochemical point of view, is that Cl-
in solution is used by most organisms to help maintain osmotic gradients,
and prevent themselves from taking too much water and dieing. It's a bit
more complicated than that, but adding a 'large' volume of Cl- ions to any
living organism's habitat is going to alter the equilibrium it's existing
it, and will either desiccate it, or cause it to swell so much it pops. Cl-
is also used in alot of secondary transport systems, and can gum up those
works as well.

In P.Chem the other day we were talking about how the concentration of ions
in solutions changes the interactions between phospholipids, and I would
hypothesis that the Cl- ions are also weakening the polar-polar head-group
interactions between the phospholipids.

So, to recap; the ions in solution will change the osmotic pressure of the
cell, as well as weaken the cell membrane, allowing them to be lysed, thus
killing your microbes.

There are exceptions to this however, the Halophile family of bacteria can
live in extremely high concentrations of salt. Staph. Aureus for example,
is normally a helpful bacteria that lives on your skin, it can survive in
up to 12% NaCl solution. Chlorine doesn't kill everything, but it does a
good job with those not used to it.

Hope that help!

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
Throwaway1944719115 <http://www.reddit.com/user/Throwaway1944719115> 1
point2 hours ago

Just FYI, diluted Chlorine bleach disinfects better than concentrated
bleach. Also it works best when left on surfaces for 15 minutes, does
almost nothing if sprayed on and wiped off immediately.

To answer the question. Chlorine destroys the cell membrane and destroys
the DNA inside, the component that allows for cellular reproduction.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
lyricandverse <http://www.reddit.com/user/lyricandverse> 3 points 3 hours
ago

Also - from a physiological standpoint - it's important to note that when
chlorine gets into the lungs and HASN'T reacted with body tissue, the free
molecules will react with water turning it into hydrochloric acid gas.
So...what doesn't alter your actual body-chemistry, corrodes it.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
12and32 <http://www.reddit.com/user/12and32> 3 points 4 hours ago

When chlorine steals electrons from whatever it can, the atoms that it
steals electrons from undergo shifts in their bonds and their geometry.
This causes molecules bound to these atoms to undergo conformational
shifts, or changes in their superstructure. Most biomolecules only operate
in their intended 3D form; disrupt this, and their structure can change,
lose parts, or even collapse.

What complicates this is the reaction that chlorine undergoes when it
contacts water.

Cl2 + H2O -> HClO + HCl

Hypochloric acid, the first product, is not only an acid (albeit weak), but
its conjugate base, the hypchlorite ion, is a strong oxidizer. Hydrochloric
acid is a very strong acid. Acids also induce conformational changes,
though through a different mechanism.

Highly-electronegative atoms like oxygen can act as proton acceptors via
extra electron pairs. This also induces conformational changes; the oxygen
molecule becomes less negative, which can affect the entire molecule
through shifts in where bonds are located, since the oxygen attempts to
shed that proton to return to a standard two unpaired pairs of electrons.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
jcpuf <http://www.reddit.com/user/jcpuf> 0 points 4 hours ago

Physiologists: I've wondered for some time whether the chlorine gas, upon
reducing to the chloride anion, would make the mucous lining of the lungs
more hypertonic, and in so doing draw more fluid across the alveolar walls
into the lungs. Persistent cough is a symptom of chlorine gas exposure, but
I'm not sure that that isn't just somehow a response to the reduced oxygen
gas.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
base736 <http://www.reddit.com/user/base736> 1 point 5 hours ago

Follow-up question... It seems like chlorine occurs in a lot of pesticides
(many of these <http://www.pops.int/documents/pops/>, for example). Is this
coincidence, does chlorine act similarly when bonded to an organic molecule
as it does when it's in its elemental form, or is something else at work
here? [http://www.pops.int/documents/pops/]

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
pound-sign <http://www.reddit.com/user/pound-sign> 25 points 6 hours ago*

To add to /u/TimeToHaveSomeFun <http://www.reddit.com/u/TimeToHaveSomeFun>'s
comment, in the context of water disinfection, the mechanism by which
Chlorine kills pathogens in water varies: it is thought to either directly
oxidize genetic material or destroy cell membranes.

Chemically, chlorine gas (bleach and calcium hypochlorite are also common
species for disinfection) reacts in water to form an equilibrium with
hypochlorite and hydrochloric acid. The hypochlorite is important because
it then forms an equilibrium with the highly effective oxidizing agent
hypochlorous acid. I hope that was ELI5...sorry.

It is also interesting to note that chlorination is NOT effective against
hard-shelled cysts (e.g Giardia, which you may have hear of). This is one
reason why affluent areas are turning away from chlorine water treatment
plants (or, most often, using chlorine in conjunction with another
disinfectant), though you still get the most "bang for you buck" with
chlorine.

(Note: the other disadvantage you may have heard about chlorine is in
regards to disinfection by products, also it's sensitivity to organic
matter... if you're interested in these or other water disinfectants, let
me know. I can also point you to some sources if you're interested).

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
2babou <http://www.reddit.com/user/2babou> 3 points 1 hour ago

ok, this really interests me and I'd like to discuss it some. I'm a Peace
Corps Volunteer in West Africa right now and quite familiar with giardia. I
had no idea bleach wasn't effective against it! I've been doing
sensitivizations with villagers talking up chlorine and how it'll pretty
much eliminate their water borne diarrhea...was I lying??? :O what kills
giardia then? One comment lower down mentioned UV disinfection? That's
tough here, all the plastics are chalk full of bpa I'm guessing.

Please elaborate on the chlorine byproducts (which I know a little on) and
sensitivity to organic matter (which really interests me). Do you mean that
organic matter tends to "use up" a lot of chlorine, rendering it inactive
and inefficient in water that hasn't been strained of it?

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
just_an_ordinary_guy <http://www.reddit.com/user/just_an_ordinary_guy> 1
point 5 minutes ago

Water treatment operator here. The way we reduce our disinfection by
products is by not using chlorine on the dirty side. We can do this because
of a certain process we use that doesn't store mud for months or years in
the sedimentation process.

Organic matter does use up chlorine. That's why we use chlorine. There have
been long term studies that disinfection byproducts probably cause a slight
increase in cancer, but when you have serious water borne illnesses as the
alternative, I'll take the former.

We have big filters that use GAC. If you run water through a filter and
then chlorinate it, you're probably going to be alright. You should never
rely on just one method anyway. If it is dirty water, run it through a sand
filter first.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
Gbcue <http://www.reddit.com/user/Gbcue> 1 point 56 minutes ago

Filtration is great against *Giardia*. RO/nano/ultrafiltration are the
best. Chlorine will inactivate *Giardia*, provided it has enough contact
time (CT). Without enough CT, chlorine won't kill anything, though. UV does
kill *Giardia*, but I prefer using a physical filter.

Yes, the more organic matter (bacteria, dead animals, organics) uses up
more of the available chlorine. Chlorine actively oxidizes the matter and
attaches to make other salts, you know, chemistry, so that the chlorine
ions are not available anymore.

Source: I'm a drinking water engineer.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
noguchisquared <http://www.reddit.com/user/noguchisquared> 2 points 56
minutes ago

A couple clicks got me to the CDC backcountry water treatment site:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

That might be useful, and it talks about giardia.

I wouldn't fret about chlorine by-products. It's a long-term health
concern, where having sanitary water is a short-term concern. Basically,
the chlorine is very reactive and will form chlorinated organic compounds.
The treatment plant I visited over the summer (medium city) using alum
flocculation mostly to decrease the amount of dissolved organics in the
water. When I say dissolved, it is only the portion that can pass through a
micrometer pore size filter, and so it can't be simply screened.

Fun facts: The plant I visited spends about $1 million annually on this
problem, removing dissolved organics. The person who discovered DBPs was
working in a brewery.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
huellbordineaux <http://www.reddit.com/user/huellbordineaux> 2 points 3
hours ago

To add a bit to this, I work professionally in swimming pools, and many
commercial pools are adding ultra-violet light systems (in addition to EPA
recommended chlorine levels) specifically to help in the fight against
Giardia

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
Gbcue <http://www.reddit.com/user/Gbcue> 2 points 1 hour ago

UV can only do so much without a multi-barrier treatment method such as
filtration.

Source: I'm a drinking water engineer.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
JaxHostage <http://www.reddit.com/user/JaxHostage> 12 points 6 hours ago

Chlorine chemically reacts with the moisture in your lungs, nose, throat,
eyes, and on your skin, and creates hydrochloric acid. The acid burns the
various tissues in your body, your body reacts by attempting to flush the
containment out, which provides more moisture for the chlorine to react
with, creating more hydrochloric acid. In burning the lining of the lungs
your body is no longer able to extract oxygen from the air, coupled with
your lungs rapidly filling with fluid, you suffocate. All of this depends
on the concentration and duration of exposure, IF you survive chemical
burns are an certainty.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
TimeToHaveSomeFun <http://www.reddit.com/user/TimeToHaveSomeFun> 391
points6 hours ago

Chlorine is a very effective oxidizing agent, meaning it is capable of
oxidizing a lot of things while itself getting reduced in the process.
Intuitively, this makes sense because the chlorine atom is very
electronegative (meaning that it's happier existing as reduced Cl- anions
as opposed to neutral Cl in Cl2). Chlorine also has a very positive
standard reduction potential, meaning that it is capable of reducing
anything with a lower potential, which just so happens to be most things.
Because of this, chlorine can attack a huge variety of molecules, including
most carbon-based compounds. Thus, it can effectively destroy living things.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
karanj <http://www.reddit.com/user/karanj> 1 point 44 minutes ago

ELI5 version: it steals electrons because it's more negative, making bonds
between the atoms in the molecule weak or broken.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
Insert_Release <http://www.reddit.com/user/Insert_Release> 1 point 2 hours
ago

Is chlorine more oxidizing than h2o2?

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
DFTricks <http://www.reddit.com/user/DFTricks> 1 point 3 hours ago

What happens if you mix Cl with fluoride acid before using it on an organic
material?

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
nolan1971 <http://www.reddit.com/user/nolan1971> 1 point 35 minutes ago

Nothing. Fluoride is more reactive than Chlorine, so there's not going to
be any reaction (under normal conditions). See:
http://www.avon-chemistry.com/chem_intro_lecture.html, more specifically:
http://www.avon-chemistry.com/ch9_chart11.jpg

Incidentally, Chlorine is an element that likes to form homonuclear
molecules <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homonuclear>, so it'd be more
correct to ask "What happens if you mix Cl2 with fluoride acid...".

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
Asddsa76 <http://www.reddit.com/user/Asddsa76> 8 points 3 hours ago

Chlorine is a very effective oxidizing agent

Somewhat unrelated, but does this mean fires can use chlorine gas instead
of oxygen to burn?

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
TimeToHaveSomeFun <http://www.reddit.com/user/TimeToHaveSomeFun> 5 points 1
hour ago

Yes. Fires are simply oxidation of carbon materials via oxygen. You can
also oxidize carbon materials via chlorine, and there will be similar,
highly exothermic reactions. Unfortunately, the word "oxidation" is a bit
confusing because it implies that oxygen has to be around.

[–]<http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/1qm8be/why_is_chlorine_so_effective_in_killing_anything/#>
erikdhoward <http://www.reddit.com/user/erikdhoward> 1 point 5 hours ago