permaculture - [permaculture] Turning this discussion forum into a think tank to push the limits on what can be done with Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Turning this discussion forum into a think tank to push the limits on what can be done with Permaculture.
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 10:51:43 -0500

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 7:56 AM, Louise Tipping <
knowledgebase@permaculture.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi Lawrence,
>
> I just saw this e-mail and wanted to drop you an individual note to say
> that I'm currently working on developing a knowledge base for the
> Permaculture Association in the UK. I was wondering if you've be willing
> to discuss your ideas with me sometime, maybe via a Skype call, with the
> possibility of further collaboration?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Louise Tipping

People in this list years ago started several Permaculture databases; there
are archives of the
mailing lists we used to develop these projects. They are still online.
Permaculture Institute received a grant
on behalf of group members to create a permaculture plant and animal
relationships (guilds) database. We got sidetracked
into good but not useful for us development software and later switched
back to MySQL/PHP (I am not a programmer) then after
developing that part way moved the project to a MediaWiki WIKI, which Rich
Morris, of PFAF, set up for us. That was used for a while then abandoned.
That wiki was exported for Appropedia to merge into its Wiki; I hope they
will put this online eventually. There wasn't much there originally but it
could
serve as a starting point for future wiki development at their site.

I am more interested in starting something new, using this mailing list as
a place to collect and partly organize information then migrating to a more
permanent location for extended development.
With cooperation from the experts in this list, permaculturists, farmers,
gardeners, landscapers, PC consultants, teachers, event organizers,
organizations sharing the best information they have we could make an
incredible start toward having:
A Permaculture Knowledgebase
An organized definition of Permaculture
Permaculture Standards, an organized set of concepts and method
A list of projects to be developed and deployed, i.e. permaculture disaster
relief

Many teachers and consultants have created proprietary resources to use in
their business. Some may be willing to share some portion or all of this
with a knowledgebase
created by the public, available online for free. Google Drive offers nice
apps for use in creating spreadsheets, slideshows and documents. When
storage space reaches a certain limit Google asks or a monthly fee, which
is fairly priced. This is a less expensive route than hiring a programmer
and paying for hosting. Drive allows a group to develop a project with
public sharing of resources as they are ready to go online. An individual
creates a document or spreadsheet then shares it with others to work on
before making it viewable by the public. Here is more information about
Drive: https://support.google.com/drive/?hl=en#topic=14940
Google Drive can be linked to a group project using a Google+ page with
associated photo and video galleries, a blog, a group (mailing list) and a
site (which can host a project domain).

Can you tell me more about the goals the PA UK has for a knowledgebase?

LL