permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Making great compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Making great compost
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:31:28 -0800

Elaine Ingham's lab that used to be at soilfoodweb.com does analysis of
microbial content of compost samples. They aren't cheap. I think these folks
http://earthfort.com/lab-services.html
are an offshoot of her lab. They're in the same town, at any rate.

Elaine also has written that the benefits of hot composting are these: it
kills weed and other seeds that can remain for years in a mouldering (slow)
pile. The thermophiles are a stage in the successionary process that prepares
conditions for the later-stage microbes that are the true inhabitants of
mature compost, the ones that release nutrients--as opposed the the early
stage microbes that mostly chew stuff into small pieces but don't release
much in the way of nutrients. The microbes that get killed in a hot pile are
early succession critters that don't release nutrients from the pile at any
great rate. They are chewers rather than chemists, busting up pieces so that
the later-stage microbes have lots of edge to colonize.

Those later stage microbes will show up in a slow pile when the raw materials
have broken down completely, but that can take years--the same pace as
natural soil development, as opposed to the accelerated succession in a hot
pile. So a cold pile will not develop the appropriate mix of microbes to
release nutrients anywhere near as fast as a hot pile. Various sources say
12-18 months. By then the pile has sat out in the rain and sun and may have
leached out and off-gassed lots of nutrients.

Cold piles also tend to accumulate flies and maggots, something I don't see
in hot piles. And rats and such will get into cold piles, but the goodies
they like to eat are quickly broken down in a hot pile. And pathogens and
cysts aren't killed at all in a cold pile. They are paradises for fungal
diseases.

That said, I still do cold composting with much of my organic debris because
I have other things to do besides baby-sit compost piles.

A table of cold vs hot pile benefits is at
http://hotbincomposting.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/hotbin-hot-and-cold-table-one-page1.jpg

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com