permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Making great compost

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Making great compost
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:59:53 -0500

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net> wrote:

> But now I want to get it tested,
> lol, and I wonder "who does that kind of testing?" This is something
> more I think than taking it in to the county extension office and asking
> for a soil test on it.

Texas Plant and Soil Lab
http://www.texasplantandsoillab.com/

http://www.texasplantandsoillab.com/contact.asp

*Contact, Location and Email*

*Phone Number*
956-383-0739

*Fax Number*
956-383-0730

*Mailing (Physical) Address*
Texas Plant & Soil Lab
5115 West Monte Cristo Rd.
Edinburg, TX 78541

*Geographic Address*
FM 1925 (Monte Cristo Road) 3 1/2 miles west of US 281
*Email Address*
Use our contact form to send us and Email.
Please include your preferred method of contact in your message.

they also *perform* the Solvita test originated by Woods End Laboratories
Compost Maturity Determination « *Solvita Solvita*<http://solvita.com/compost>
Rapid, reliable and inexpensive compost test for CO2-respiration and NH3
*...*

http://solvita.com/compost
Compost Maturity DeterminationRapid, reliable *and inexpensive* compost
test for CO2-respiration and NH3 volatization - See more at:
http://solvita.com/compost#sthash.hz8aP9F2.dpuf

*Solvita® simply explained. *

Solvita® is a test requiring no prior chemistry skills in order to obtain
an accurate and useful result. The kit measures both carbon-dioxide (CO2)
and ammonia (NH3) which are the two most common gases released during
composting. High release of either or both gases indicates an unstable and
possibly odorous condition associated with very actively degrading compost.

Due to the unique and separate character of carbon and nitrogen cycles,
compost can not be assured to be stable or mature without assessing both
carbon-dioxide rate and ammonia. In the Solvita protocol, the test results
are combined in a unique fashion to obtain a
Maturity<http://solvita.com/pdf-files/Quick_guideV5.pdf>
Index <http://solvita.com/pdf-files/Quick_guideV5.pdf>.The concept of a
maturity index arose over time based on the widespread experience that
using a CO2 test alone to infer maturity is not reliable.

Solvita is a *volumetric* procedure. This means it measures respiration and
emissions *per unit volume* of compost, and not per unit weight which is
customary if a sample is sent to the laboratory. The advantage of measuring
respiration per unit volume is that the results are relevant for growing
media and constructed soils. Under virtually all circumstances where
compost use is fairly heavy, the impact on soil ecology is governed largely
by gas exchange per unit volume.

Solvita may be used to provide useful information about the entire
composting process. The test is applicable on-site to monitor the process,
and for gauging the end of composting where CO2 rate and ammonia are
expected to have attained low levels. Volumetric respiration governs,
among other traits, the sufficiency of oxygen.This is directly tied to the
character of microbiology and the potential for odor. As a laboratory
procedure used in conjunction with the digital Solvita spectrometer, the
results are as quantitative as any other biological test procedure.
- See more at: http://solvita.com/compost#sthash.hz8aP9F2.dpuf

*Solvita* Compost *Test*: How to Perform it -
YouTube<http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEkQtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnD8O_TRN6bY&ei=TnCFUq_AKMn_4AOrwICICA&usg=AFQjCNFZX_Krya7o3QX9V0TAdNvx4oxVfg&sig2=knesfsgBbJsC6hStfbOQAw&bvm=bv.56643336,d.dmg>
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD8O_TRN6bY‎
Dec 19, 2009 - Uploaded by WoodsEndLaboratory
The *Solvita* compost *test* measures CO2 and ammonia in composts. This
film explains how to perform the *..*