permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Charcoal

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Charcoal
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 23:12:23 -0000

Which must mean that only bought in charcoal from a well controlled pyrolisis installation will have good results Toby. Back garden charcoal making is not good enough. Almost impossible to get and maintain the right temperatures all through the charcoal.

And again, I have been doing tests on growth rates for nearly twenty years with activated charcoal and I have never seen positive efects with charcoal on it's own. None. Compost yes, fish emulsion most definitely, ormus (sea solids) fantastic. When I mix these nutrients with charcoal I find a neutral effect at best of the charcoal.
Is it possible that "bio-char" gives better plant growth in some environments? Possibly but not here in Ireland. Solar energy is the defining factor and that is not a given here.

Is it good for the planet to burry biochar in the soil? Extremely doubtful unless you do see very good growth results.
If you buy your biochar for this purpose it may have high potent fertilizer mixed in and you would still not know.
The fertilizer on it's own will probably have the same effect.
John

The reason they call it biochar is because the intent is to use it in a biological context (soil amendment) instead of burning it as fuel. Like biophysics, bioengineering, biomechanics, bioswale, etc.. A non-living thing used in a biological system. So that's a standard usage.

The main difference between biochar and charcoal is that the optimal temp to produce combustion charcoal is 300-350 degrees C. The optimal temp for biochar is 450-700 C. That removes the aromatics that, as John notes, are present in charcoal. Aromatics are generally not present in biochar.

Initial experiments using mycelial-inoculated biochar to grow vegetables show 20% more growth and 20% higher brix in fruit than controls grown with compost or mycelium alone. Biochar can hold greater numbers of microbes than compost--more properly sized "apartments" and sites for colonization. These results will be released by a well-known mycologist in the spring, but I've seen the data and methods, and they are good.

A good ref for charcoal vs biochar is
http://www.hedon.info/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?forumId=13&comments_parentId=152&topics_offset=9&topics_sort_mode=lastPost_desc

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com