permaculture - [permaculture] Drylands water capture question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Drylands water capture question
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 17:34:11 -0700 (PDT)

We are being given 500 trees to plant at Pine Ridge reservation this year and
I'd like to experiment with some of them, using different drylands water
capture techniques and creating a space to  be a demo site. We have the room
on one of the sites we are working with. We've had a hard time working out
the funding and logistics to plant deep root plants like alfalfa and then add
trees so we're having to slam dunk the trees and somehow come up with ways to
loosen the soil and replicate a forest setting that is more compatible with
them. We're using mycorrhizae, compost tea, worm castings, mulch, etc, to
give them a good base. The soil is compacted clay/silt, the wind gets pretty
fierce sometimes and dries everything out (down to six inches sometimes,
pretty routine for the first few inches to be dried out by wind), and we can
go without rain for sometimes two months or more, and then just get a little
bit. Most of the rain/snow melt comes in the spring.
The winter sometimes is pretty dry until late winter. Temperature extremes,
sometimes from day to day (below freezing one day, 85 degrees the next , from
110 to -30 F extreme). Rainstorms coming through sometimes miss us totally,
go to either side. So it is pretty hit or miss in the summer.The wind blows
mulch off site, hard to mulch the trees (so we are going to mulch them under
a layer of tamped down clay soil) The trees we're planting are fairly tough
(cottonwood, Ponderosa Pine, Rocky Mountain cedar), and are native to the
area except one (Tilia Americana).

Has anybody planted linden (tilia) in drylands? It does grow up there, and I
planted some last year that is doing fine. I just don't know how much
water/care it needs compared to the natives. Does anybody know of a way to
preserve linden leaves or if they would have any nutrition value dried?

I would love to hear from people who are planting trees in similar
environments and what your most successful actions have been. I'm a
semitropical girl and still learning this environment. I will credit you for
anything you share when I do my yearly write up.

We are using several techniques from Brad Lancaster's book, and also a
technique I haven't heard of anyone using, but it makes sense to me. One of
the successful modes of irrigation up there is a deep water pipe - a vertical
6 inch PVC pipe that has holes in it, stuck in the ground and filled with
water to release slowly, beneath the surface where it forces the roots
downward and where the soil can hold moisture better.  We can't afford 500 of
these and plus we don't really want to put all that PVC in the ground, so
we're going to dig holes with post hole diggers and stuff them with wood
chips and sticks that we are getting from the fire department's fire
suppression brush clearance. We're thinking of ways we can mimic what keyline
does (we don't have funding for a plow), or a forest floor. Hugulkulture of
course - we will try that as one method. We don't have enough logs to create
hugulkulture mounds for 500 trees - that method is not practical on any
kind of scale there right now.  Maybe in 50 years after we plant thousands
of trees, lol.

Anyone see anything I'm missing?

We will irrigate the linden especially as a back up, but want to find ways to
get these trees to survive without it because we could get a lot more planted
if we could do that. We are establishing wind break systems in the areas
where we are working now, and will keep doing that. We're working on funding
to pay a Lakota to hand water from a truck, which is how the NRD does it with
their windbreak tree projects where they plant thousands of them - watering
2-3 times per year is enough to keep those tough trees alive even in some
drought. We've also had volunteers go out there and water (and welcome
volunteers in summer time to check on the trees!) Trees make a huge
difference in quality of life in that part of the world. There used to be
more of them. When you go into a little pine forest there, it feels so good,
in both winter and summer. Their houses would be protected, a lot of things
would be better. The people there are careful with using trees for
firewood - there is a culture of sustainable harvest there of animals,
trees, plants. If we plant enough of them, they have some for emergency fuel,
fence posts, and of course, food.  Seven generation project.

We would like to expand this tree planting program to 1000's of trees -
looking for volunteers, especially grant writers/fund raisers, but other
skill sets too, to make that happen, and there is much else needed - natural
building, broad scale water catchment, etc. We are still fund raising too,
for fuel for the machinery we're using, a truck to haul chips, chipper, etc.
Our non-profit is http://www.permacultureguild.us/category/donate/  if anyone
is moved to donate - even a small amount is hugely helpful!  We stretch those
dollars.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition
>From lflj@bellsouth.net Wed Apr 24 21:34:35 2013
.VcTl6ZLOONQ8yNIOvCjBKbmu7wRonhteWzxfHIYsFKFAzL7hd11FmVrSJF3
ZIBWQeg--