permaculture - Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] pc aquaponics
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 14:31:47 -0600

Hi Steve,

I have to disagree with your assessment that aquaponics is "working against
nature". Perhaps you do not understand that aquaponics is using hydroponic
grow beds to filter and oxygenate water in high stocking density aquaculture,
in a recirculating system?

The concept of plants and water is not a new concept. While aquaponics uses
pumps and pipes and electricity, it is not that different to the concept of
paddy rice, or to the chinampa system practiced in Central Mexico by the
Aztecs, which are both time honored and highly productive. Nobody would
consider either of these systems to be "working against nature". Are electric
lights working against nature? Should we return to oil lamps?

One of the limiting factors in aquaculture is the stocking density. Putting
too much fish in the water can result in build up of ammonia and a bloom of
algae, resulting in depletion of oxygen and death of your fish. This is
called eutrophication. Another problem is that veggies and herbs need certain
conditions. Our rainy season here in Belize, for example, is too wet to grow
cabbage, cucumbers, tomatoes, or the plants will get hammered by our rain. We
get over 160 inches of rain a year, with up to 8 inches of rain in a night
during the intense rains of June, July and August. You can apply that to
areas with hard freezes, too.

Aquaponics converts the problem of too much nutrients in water into the
solution to how to grow veggies and herbs in a small area. First, it allows
small holders to grow fish in a small area, say a back yard, or a patio, and
it also allows the production of vegetables. Coupled with a green house in a
temperate climate, it would either increase your season for veggies, or make
it year round.

Aquaponics is definitely is a tool to keep in your tool kit. While I would
never imagine aquaponics would replace soil based agriculture, or pond based
aquaculture, aquaponics lends itself well on places with any of the following
issues:
1. Poor soil
Much of the world has poor soil, and soil based agriculture will give small
yields.
2. Contaminated soil
In places where the soil, itself, is toxic, aquapnics allows the production
of fresh local veggies and herbs while avoiding taking up toxins in soil
3. Lack of access to water for irrigation
Aquaponics is %90 more efficient with water than soil based agriculture.
Israel is one of the leaders in aquaponics technology.
4. High population density areas, especially urban areas.
Aquaponics can have a very small foot print, can be roof mounted, can be part
of school programs, attached to hospitals. Working with industrial ecologies
toed to surplus energy or nutrients, like day old bread and waste heat from a
bakery, for example, or table scraps fed to vermiculture in a cafeteria, and
the earth worms giving nutrients for the fish, and yeilding worm castings
for gardens, and aquaponics can be integrated into an urban landscape.

Aquaponics systems range in size from gold fish tanks to many acres of
veggies with thousands of fish in tens of thousands of gallons of water. Some
are expensive, built rom expensive parts, and some are made from old tanks
and barrels. Joels system, in a space 4x8 meters in size, produced 100
kilograms of veggies and over 50 kg of fich in a 6 month period in suburban
Perth. Nobody can say it is not productive.

We are working on an aquaponics system here, and expect it to be up and
running by the end of the year. Limiting factors for us have been having a
large enough photovoltaic system to run it. If anyone is interested in
learning a LOT about aquaponics, check genius Aussie Joel Malcolms web page
www.backyardaquaponics.com. He even has a forum where hundred of people have
their systems on display.

Best wishes,

Christopher