permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Oregon criminalizes permaculture - rainwater collection illegal - violators sent to jail

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Andrew Millison <amillison@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Oregon criminalizes permaculture - rainwater collection illegal - violators sent to jail
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:50:22 -0700

This seems really sensationalized to me. Permaculture is site specific. I
need to look at the satellite maps of the property and the locations of the
ponds to make an accurate judgement of the situation. Anyone have the
coordinates?

It's not the State of Oregon versus Permaculture, it's Jackson County and
the City of Medford alleging that he's blocking a tributary that is part of
the City of Medford's water supply. I think it's important to gather real
information before jumping on fiery headlines. Perhaps this man is doing
unwise water manipulation that will negatively impact Medford's water
supply? Let's get an address and base a discussion around the watershed
facts.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/oregon-man-sentenced-30-days-jail-collecting-rainwater-his-property

"But Tom Paul, administrator of the Oregon Water Resources Department,
claims that Harrington has been violating the state’s water use law by
diverting water from streams running into the Big Butte River.

“The law that he is actually violating is not the 1925 provision, but it’s
Oregon law that says all of the water in the state of Oregon is public
water and if you want to use that water, either to divert it or to store
it, you have to acquire a water right from the state of Oregon before doing
that activity,” Paul told CNSNews.com.

Yet Paul admitted the 1925 law does apply because, he said, Harrington
constructed dams to block a tributary to the Big Butte, which Medford uses
for its water supply.

“There are dams across channels, water channels where the water would
normally flow if it were not for the dam and so those dams are stopping the
water from flowing in the channel and storing it- holding it so it cannot
flow downstream,” Paul told CNSNews.com.

Harrington, however, argued in court that that he is not diverting water
from Big Butte Creek, but the dams capturing the rainwater and snow runoff
– or “diffused water” – are on his own property and that therefore the
runoff does not fall under the jurisdiction of the state water managers,
nor does it not violate the 1925 act."

Andrew Millison

www.beaverstatepermaculture.com