permaculture - [permaculture] Edible bamboo?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Edible bamboo?
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 13:04:45 -0700 (PDT)

I have a number of edible bamboos which I have been harvesting for a few
years. There is one type of bamboo a neighbor gave to me and of which I
don’t know the name. Since I don’t know the name I can’t check if it is
edible or not.

The problem is that I don’t know what it means if a bamboo is “not edible”.
Does it mean that it is poisonous or does it just mean that it doesn’t taste
very good or that it is too hard to eat? I tried a bit raw today and it
didn’t taste much different from the edible ones I have. Would it be safe to
eat?

Thanks,
Dieter