permaculture - [permaculture] ramping up publicity for local, sustainable food production

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marjory <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] ramping up publicity for local, sustainable food production
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 15:53:35 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I just got back from New York City attending the National Publicity Summit where I met a variety of top level media. My message continues to center on the value of backyard food production, and local home-grown production. Here is a quick overview of the results.

I met with 53 producers or editors.

17 Yes
19 Maybe
17 No

A 'yes' means we were getting out a calendar and booking dates.

A 'maybe' means they were very interested, but needed to talk with me further or I needed to give them additional material (I only had 3 minutes to talk with each media person - this is like speed dating).

A 'no' indicates the material didn't match, they didn't like me, or it would be too much work on my part to make it happen.

The biggest and most exciting 'maybes' were
O Magazine - very impressed with my article, she is the senior editor and will pass it to the appropriate section (told me to follow up with her on who she passed it on to).
The Weather Channel (lifestyle segments) - we agreed to follow up with a much lengthier conversation about logistics, content, budget, etc.
Rachel Ray, Live With Kelly, Good Morning America, and The View all had interest and I need to get them an example of the segment on a local stations (I am working on that).

Some of the "no's" were very positive. For example, the producer from the Wendy Williams show couldn't use my material, but he loved what I was doing and offered to get me the contact info and refer me to his friends at the Rachel Ray show where he used to work.

Most of the "yes" bookings were radio shows with medium to large listenerships. Other notable "yes" booking are:

New Living Magazine
FoxNews.com
www.lifetimemoms.com
A freelance writer who will use or quote me in several places. I am perfect for a summer piece she is writing for "All You" the Wal-Mart magazine.

All I can say is "wow".

Marjory
--
Marjory Wildcraft www.GrowYourOwnGroceries.com