permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Amazonian Mushroom Eats Indestructible Plastics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Amazonian Mushroom Eats Indestructible Plastics
  • Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 12:26:47 -0500

On 2/4/2012 10:09 PM, wenshidi@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
--- On Sun, 2/5/12, Alan Enzo<ecoenzo@gmail.com> wrote:

Found this minutes after I was ranting with one of our PDC students
about Polyurethane foam off-gassing and toxic plastic stuff from
China!

What is it with folks here blaming the entire population of China for

I'll join you in a rant.

Where does he say he is blaming all the great rural and urban and village folk in China, who have fed their population for thousands of years, in style. I think he was referring to the CHINESE GOVERNMENT AND THEIR SUBSERVIENT UNDERLINGS AND SURROGATES, eh? You know the one responsible for atrocities at Tienanmen Square, the invasion of Tibet (40% or all Chinese are ethnically Tibetan), the destruction of all but 15% of Tibetan Buddhist temples and monasteries, killed many followers of Tibetan Buddhism, relegated the Tibetan to the status of second class citizens while inviting in trash culture boom box carrying Han Chinese yuppies and the Chinese government exploits the natural resources of Tibet without sharing with the native Tibetan people, a government who sent border guards to Tibet who shot in the back and killed a Tibetan Buddhist nun on a high country mountain trail on her way to safety in Nepal.

That's where the blame lies. Corrupt government thugs. Same in nearly every country of the world.

the planet's ecological woes? In the west, factories all kinds have
been belching out toxic fumes and polluting the water for more than a
century, and yet somehow, China is going to get all the blame? Where

Nobody but a fool would blame China alone. And you should already know that.

do you think that they got all of this dirty technology from in the
first place? And why would the Chinese factories be producing all
this nasty stuff if there was not such an enormous market in the USA
and Europe?

When they can decide not to go that route, repress their people, steal all the profits for the Chinese 1%, corrupt and pollute their country for profit alone and they decide to do that anyway, who is to blame? Them. And us for helping them and buying their products, which BTW are going up in price as the 99%'s buying power goes down. And there is the issue of copyright violation and product design theft by Chinese industrialists and manufacturers which is not a trivial issue.

Putting the blame on one race or nation is not helpful and certainly

He did not. You put words in his mouth as you did once before, recently.

If there was ever a group of people who fully appreciate traditional Chinese culture it is the people in this list. The links to galleries of pictures of rural China and Chinese traditional farming is an education itself.

does not fit in with permaculture principles. There are scores of
protests and demonstrations taking place every single day all over
the People's Republic and we should be supporting these forward
thinking individuals, not demonising the entire country carte

I agree completely. Please post news about these demonstrations with some background information about the people involved and where they live and why they are involved.

blanche. I suppose it is much easier to rant at a boogey man that is
thousands of miles away than one that lives next door.

Count me in with one hundred percent support of all these protect movements in China, that yo describe. Where do we find out more about these in order to keep up and read news about them?

Permaculturalists and environmentalists in China have a difficult
enough job as it is. If even their own peers and counterparts in the
West are quite happy to make them the fall guys, then what is the
point in them even continuing?

We in the West, the 99% have plenty of problems of our own, trying to survive financially and in good health while keeping our permaculture community together and communicating. Michael's Permaculture History should help address this latter issue in a positive way; in a way it is not just who made the permaculture movement happen but who is making permaculture history now, no matter how small the effort; same in China and with Chinese permaculturists, traditional farmers and practitioners of natural agriculture (there should be a significant following of Nature Farming and Masanobu Fukuoka there as there is in Japan, India, the US and many other places).