permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question for Toby and anyone else interested.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question for Toby and anyone else interested.
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 23:00:36 -0000

But in my non-scientific moments I consider the Earth to be alive, too. At least we should be treating it that way.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

I think that the idea that the planet is alive is even tenable scientifically since many of the components of the planet were formed and are maintained by life forces. Also because the inter- relations with feed back loops of millions of different species of organism are so complex that it is simplistic to state the whole is not alive when we are not always even sure how to define "life" in the first place. (for instance is a virus alive?)
What makes it difficult for us is the difference in process speed of a human life and of the planet as a whole. Compared to the life span of the planet us humans are completely insignificant even with all the damage we have done in such a very short time. "Proof" of Gaia being alive would be if the planet spits humans out and goes on without us sometime in the future.
john