permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question for Toby and anyone else interested.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question for Toby and anyone else interested.
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 21:18:36 -0000

Two aspects here , James Lovelock I have heard advocate more pollution to stop global warming, more nuclear powerplants for the same reason and more gmo to feed the world better. I am sorry but that makes everything else Lovelock has to say or as ever said suspect imo.
Secondly, In the last few years a number of theories have come up such as for instance that it is possible to measure a sort of heart beat of Gaia (periodicity about 11 hours), that it is possible that the planet has been expanding just as our days are getting constantly longer and that it is possible that our sun is much farther gone than was thought before. In short...there are many unknowns here and possibly even unknown unknowns. Fiving the planet a name, "Gaia", can help give the impression that we know more than we actually do. I only know that I don't know enough.
john

Do you hold Lovelock's Gaia concept, and the theories of other advocates
of this view of our Earth's geo-electro-bio systems,
as still accurate and useful?

I do and have wholeheartedly embraced the Gaia Concept. It was very
perceptive of Toby to include Gaia in the title of his famous book;
it opens many doors for inquiry as does permaculture itself. As Mollison
said: "The only limit to possibilities for a permaculture design is the
imagination of the designer".

Other food for thought:

preternatural:

From Wikipedia:
"The preternatural or praeternatural is that which appears outside or
beyond (Latin præter) the natural. In contrast to the supernatural,
preternatural phenomena are presumed to have rational explanations that
are, as of yet, unknown.

The term is often used to distinguish from the divine (supernatural)
while maintaining a distinction from known and understood nature in any
given culture and time period. For instance, in the Abrahamic religions,
the angels, both holy and fallen, are endowed with preternatural powers.
Their intellect, speed, and other characteristics are explained to be
beyond the capabilities of humans, but still limited or finite."