permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question for Toby and anyone else interested.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question for Toby and anyone else interested.
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 08:45:06 -0800

The irony here is that I dislike the title that Chelsea Green imposed on my
book, against my wishes, and of my agent, who said "why are you trying to
kill Toby's book?" I still get comments from people about "I avoided your
book like the plague because I thought it would be New Age Drivel, but it's
not." (The point of the book was to reach a broader audience; we in the choir
get the title.) So I wonder how many sales I've lost from that. We argued,
back in 2001, that having two words in the title, Gaia and permaculture, that
no one had ever heard, was a bad idea. But--that's water over the dam. The
book eventually did well once word got out.

Actually, the best laugh I got was when I was introduced to a large audience,
by someone who had clearly not had time to read the blurb they were to
deliver, as "The author of the best-selling book, "Gays Gardening."

At any rate, Lovelock is a crank, but his earlier work is still good (he told
NASA not to bother with expensive toys to look for life on Mars, since the
gases in the atmosphere were at equilibrium, and a planet with life will be
out of equilibrium. But they did it any way--gotta justify your big
budget--and the results were "inconclusive.")

I digress again. The original "Gaia Hypothesis" was unfortunately taken to
mean that the Earth is an organism, and it wasn't well presented. Lovelock
retitled it "Gaia Theory" a while back and mustered a lot more evidence that
the atmosphere and oceans act as self-regulating systems, and that's been
pretty well accepted. I definitely agree that there are many feedback loops
that keep those systems in homeostasis, and it's been a fruitful line of
work. I do think it's been abused, just as quantum physics and other science
has, to make fascinating but unscientific speculations about earth
consciousness and so forth, and we should be sticking to the data to keep
Lovelock's reputation from being ruined even further. But in my
non-scientific moments I consider the Earth to be alive, too. At least we
should be treating it that way.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com