permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture in SE Asia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Felicity Wright" <flickwright@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture in SE Asia
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 09:53:22 +0800

Hello fellow permies in SE Asia
A couple of weeks ago someone in Bangkok posted some really
interesting information about flood resistant species. Sorry, forgot
your name and I didn't save the posts at the time :-(
Whilst living in Phnom Penh I have been linking up with people
interested in/practicising permaculture in Cambodia. Rico Zooks is
currently visiting and doing a PDC in Sihanoukville this month and has
recently visited Hariharalaya Meditation Retreat near Siem Reap where
they are establishing a garden. Chris Bradley and Jessica Villani are
spending six months at Hariharalaya setting things up. Rowe Morrow
did some work in Prey Veng a few years back (but have not been able to
make contact with her to discuss her work here).The guy who heads up
my organisation has a PDC and is now working on a heritage livelihoods
project in Angkor Park World Heritage Area (around Angkor Wat and
other temples) - where villagers are looking at heritage vegetables
etc for their gardens for self-sufficiency and product. Another woman
Jessica Roberts is living in PP and keen to make a garden. A few
months back someone else in the region (Laos) sent me an email to find
out what I knew about PC in Laos (nothing, unfortunately). Chris was
asking me about sourcing seeds and wondering whether it was reasonable
to bring seeds from Australia - I thought it made much more sense to
source seeds with local provenance and mentioned the guy in Bangkok.
It seems like a good time to create a SE Asia network OR join one if
it already exists. Does anyone know of one?
Am happy to take this discussion off this PC list - because as I
mentioned recently, I find it frustrating when there is lots of
chit-chat between people whose bio-regions are irrelevant to the rest
of us or is just vague/generalised comments. Every so often I am
tempted to unsubscribe and then some gem come along...
cheersflick

Felicity Wright Management Advisor Live & Learn Cambodia +855 (0) 77
319 018 skype: flick.wright