permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in SE Asia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ute Bohnsack <sustag@eircom.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in SE Asia
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:38:02 +0000

Dear Felicity,
Even though I'm in Ireland I'm interested as I have recently established
contacts in Central Kalimantan with respect to rainforest restoration,
eco-tourism and local livelihoods / non-timber forest products. I'm
considering
volunteering there some time in the future and have been trying to learn about
agroforestry etc. in SE Asia. So if you take this off-line please let me know.

Slán,
Ute

Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 1:53:22 AM, you wrote:

FW> Hello fellow permies in SE Asia
FW> A couple of weeks ago someone in Bangkok posted some really
FW> interesting information about flood resistant species. Sorry, forgot
FW> your name and I didn't save the posts at the time :-(
FW> Whilst living in Phnom Penh I have been linking up with people
FW> interested in/practicising permaculture in Cambodia. Rico Zooks is
FW> currently visiting and doing a PDC in Sihanoukville this month and has
FW> recently visited Hariharalaya Meditation Retreat near Siem Reap where
FW> they are establishing a garden. Chris Bradley and Jessica Villani are
FW> spending six months at Hariharalaya setting things up. Rowe Morrow
FW> did some work in Prey Veng a few years back (but have not been able to
FW> make contact with her to discuss her work here).The guy who heads up
FW> my organisation has a PDC and is now working on a heritage livelihoods
FW> project in Angkor Park World Heritage Area (around Angkor Wat and
FW> other temples) - where villagers are looking at heritage vegetables
FW> etc for their gardens for self-sufficiency and product. Another woman
FW> Jessica Roberts is living in PP and keen to make a garden. A few
FW> months back someone else in the region (Laos) sent me an email to find
FW> out what I knew about PC in Laos (nothing, unfortunately). Chris was
FW> asking me about sourcing seeds and wondering whether it was reasonable
FW> to bring seeds from Australia - I thought it made much more sense to
FW> source seeds with local provenance and mentioned the guy in Bangkok.
FW> It seems like a good time to create a SE Asia network OR join one if
FW> it already exists. Does anyone know of one?
FW> Am happy to take this discussion off this PC list - because as I
FW> mentioned recently, I find it frustrating when there is lots of
FW> chit-chat between people whose bio-regions are irrelevant to the rest
FW> of us or is just vague/generalised comments. Every so often I am
FW> tempted to unsubscribe and then some gem come along...
FW> cheersflick

FW> Felicity Wright Management Advisor Live & Learn Cambodia +855 (0) 77
FW> 319 018 skype: flick.wright

Agri-Environmental Consultancy and Technical Translations
(English>German>English)
Dipl.-Ing. (TU) Ute Bohnsack
Clogher
Kilfenora