permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in SE Asia

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Daniel Jager <dfjager@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture in SE Asia
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:59:43 -0800 (PST)

Dear Felicity,

I am glad you liked the information I posted earlier. I am living in Bangkok
and I think it is a great idea to start a regional network of Permaculture in
SE Asia.

Especially the sharing of experiences, knowledge and seeds would be most
welcome, as well as dealing with the specific cultural background of this
region.

Since you started the idea, I'd suggest you gather the contacts in SE Asia
and kick this thing off. I am eager to help / join in whatever capacity
possible.

I know of a Permaculture farm (where Geoff Lawton helped with building an
water impoundment pond) north of Chiang Mai, Thailand. "The Panya Project".
http://www.panyaproject.org/. I don't know them personally, but they seem to
offer PDC, so they are registered Permies.

Next door of them is also a similar style organic farm project, though they
are not permaculture per se. The name is Pun Pun. It is a quite famous farm
in Thailand. http://www.punpunthailand.org/
They actively promote seed saving, mudbrick house building, and the like.
Good folk!

My own interest now is in trying to set up a seed center and nursery for New
World exotic fruit species in Thailand, and promoting their use. It is in its
infancy (just moved back to my property after the flood), but I am eager to
expand this greatly in the next few months. So far I have been working on my
own on this, but I am most eager to start sharing this work with others.

About sourcing seeds: I think sourcing some from Queensland, AUS, would be
very useful, since there are quite some permaculture project there, that may
provide seeds of exotic fruit and nut species.
Then there is REC Exotic Fruit Conservation Farm in Los Banos, Philippines,
where a LOT of different Old and New world fruit species are grown, and seeds
are available either free of charge, for swap, or for a small price. The man
who runs it is Roberto Coronel, a retired professor in Plant Propagation at
UP Los Banos.

Daniel

--- On Tue, 1/10/12, permaculture-request@lists.ibiblio.org