permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Taro Cultivation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Taro Cultivation
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:59:36 +1100

There's over 100 species of Colocasia of which only around 5 are edible,
mostly varieties of Colocasia esculenta, so it's important you get an edible
variety if you intend eating it.

Taro's contain an alkaloid, calcitic oxalite (calcium oxalate) pointed
crystals that when eaten are like having your taro spiked with pin pricks
marinated in chilli concentrate. The edible varieties have low
concentrations which render them edible, though even many of these need to
be well peeled and boiled and the water thrown out to leach out the stuff to
render them edible. I have a great low calcitic oxalite variety than can be
baked or fried after peeling without the need for boiling.
The pretty purple-leafed ornamental ones are very high in alkaloids and
inedible.

Robyn

--
Permaculture College Australia inc
Pathways to sustainability through

Robyn Francis
International permaculture design and
sustainability consultant, educator & facilitator

Djanbung Gardens
Permaculture Education Centre & Demonstration Farm
PO Box 379 Nimbin NSW 2480
02-6689 1755 / 0429 147 138
www.permaculture.com.au