permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Taro Cultivation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <robyn@permaculture.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Taro Cultivation
  • Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 13:30:39 +1100

Be careful with 'Elephant plants' as most ornamental taro are not edible and
you could be in for a very nasty surprise if you try and eat them.

Most taro spp are bog/edge plants, while some varieties can cope with
standing water, not all are suited to paddy culture and need both drainage
and moisture.
Once you have taro to harvest, for replanting cut off the stem at the top of
the tuber and them trim the leaves and stem back to around 20-30cm from the
base and simply plant this.
Ciao
Robyn

--
Permaculture College Australia inc
Pathways to sustainability through

Robyn Francis
International permaculture design and
sustainability consultant, educator & facilitator

Djanbung Gardens
Permaculture Education Centre & Demonstration Farm
PO Box 379 Nimbin NSW 2480
02-6689 1755 / 0429 147 138
www.permaculture.com.au