permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Some other big Hugelkulturs.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Evan <kodama@riseup.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Some other big Hugelkulturs.
  • Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 09:10:17 -0400

Two of the hugels I dug this spring were along the course of an old drainage
ditch (maybe at 20˚ from horizontal, only about 12" deep at this point). I
dug them along the contour and across the ditch, about 12' apart. They're
only about 12' and 15' long, respectively, and 3' wide, and 4' tall. Compared
to many of these beds I'm reading about, maybe this doesn't even constitute a
hugel, but it took a good lot of wood for each of them and one way or another
I like the shape of them. But with the early spring rains here (I can't find
rainfall totals for this spring, but it's not uncommon to get 7-10" of rain
in May), both held up marvelously without any trouble while other parts of
the the land had some washouts. For my situation they seem to work for
slowing down water and I hope to dig more around the place to deal with other
difficult spots. I should note I live in the Appalachian mountains, so slopes
are basically the story of the terrain most everywhere.

cheers,
Evan